2: Azazel

What If...All Hell Breaks Loose

2: Azazel

"Remember to stay in the salt barrier." he instructed the other three, running one hand through his thick hair. He held an iron rod in his other hand, pointed at the creaky floors of the house. "Demons and ghosts can't come in here or harm any of you, as long as you stay behind it. If the barrier's broken - which it won't be - then you'll need to strike the demon with one of these," he held the iron rod up, turning it left and right. "We just need to sit tight and wait for help."

"For how long?" The blonde in the back said, head cocked to the side. Lily, until about four or five hours ago, was one of the people who didn't even think demons existed. After the initial shock of learning it ran through her - which mostly consisted of her clenching her jaw and fists repeatedly and mumbling the occasional "this is a dream, none of this is real" - she came to terms with the fact that this was very real, and that she only had one option of getting out alive. That is, staying with the group of strangers who, until now, she had no clue were related to her through the psychic abilities they shared.

Sam hung his head and shook it, twirling the iron rod between his hands. "I don't know." he said. "My brother should be on the way. When he'll be here?" He shrugged through his jacket, and gave each of them a good, hard look. "Let's just sit tight and stick together. It's our best hope with the demons still out there."

Sam leaned his head against the old wooden window frame, once more looking over the rest of the people in the room. Andy was asleep on the table, head buried in his arms again. Ava stood off on the other side of the room near the refrigerator, pacing back and forth. Lily sat on the couch, already snoozing away.

He felt sleep tug at his eyelids; a soft gesture at first, until his head drooped for a slight moment and he fell into blackness. He got out of that real fast, tipping his head back up the instant his eyes shut. Then he saw him standing in the door way.

"Ava, behind you!" he yelled, but to no avail; she couldn't hear him. Yellow-Eyes walked past her, smirking at Sam.

"Sorry Sam, she can't hear you." The bastard eyed the other psychic children in the room, then wheeled on the Winchester boy with a magnetic grin encircling his lips. "Let's go for a little walk."

Ava shivered in his presence. She was used to it after five months in this shabby town; in fact, her abilities had progressed tremendously since the first batch of psychic kids she had killed. She could now sense demons within a mile of her location. So when the ol' Yellow-Eyed man came around, all the hair on the back of her neck stood at attention and goosebumps swelled along her arms. His presence was rather entailing, you could say.

"Hey there, Ava." he said. Ava turned around, wearing an expression of interest on her round face. "I see you've been having fun with the latest group. Greasing the wheels, so to speak." He cocked his head and gestured to the cold night outside of the house. "Let's take a stroll."

"Sam..." He groaned and shifted around against the uncomfortable window sill, sleep begging him to stay. "Sam!" But he woke up when he realized that he was being shaken by Andy. Sam shot up, senses on high alert and mind as sharp as if he was fully awake. "Ava's gone." Andy said. The Winchester blinked once, then twice and ran his hand down his face.

"Damn it." he cursed, heading to the door. The night was still young, probably ten or eleven by now, he wagered. "Alright, um...stay here. Both of you." He noticed that Lily was still asleep. "Just make sure to stay in the barrier."

"Got it." said Andy. Sam nodded and left the sanctity of the barrier, heading out into the cold, arid night.