chapter 1

(Demi's POV)

I walk into the house, and start calling out to my husband and daughter. But neither of them reply.

I sigh, he took her out again, as usual.

I put my stuff down in the hallway and head up to my room to get out of my work clothes and into something more comfortable.

After removing my make up, I head back downstairs and start working on dinner, wondering if I'll be eating alone for yet another night.

I decide to make Joe's favorite. I smile as I remember the days when it was just me and him and he would always come home to my cooking. I can't help but love him, he's the most amazing man a woman could ever wish for. But then we had Aubrey, and our arguments started. We never agree anymore, and I hate it. We want to raise her differently, and our parenting techniques are always clashing.

I allow myself to let a year slip as I think about how perfect our relationship used to be, I don't blame my daughter for the arguments, I could never do that. I love her to pieces and that would never change. But I just wish Joe would cooperate a bit more with me, then we wouldn't be arguing so much, then we would still have the relationship everyone has always envied.

I hear the door open and know they are finally home, so I quickly wipe my tears before they see them.

"Remove your shoes and your coat Aubrey before you go say hi to mommy." I hear Joe's voice resonate in the house.

He walks into the kitchen and wraps his arms around me from behind. "How's my other princess doing today? How was work beautiful?" he asks as he leans down to kiss my neck.

I smile at him as I lean my head back to kiss his lips gently. "It was good, but I missed you and Aubrey."

"Well, we're all here now." he whispers in my ear before nibbling on it gently.

I start to push him away gently when Aubrey comes running into the kitchen screaming my name. "Hello princess."

"Mommy guess what?" Aubrey seems to be jumping in my arms.

I giggle at her excitement as I start plating dinner. "What is it?"

"Daddy took me to the park, and after that we went to McDonald's and I ate nuggets and fries and then he got me an ice cream. I got an ice cream because I was a good girl mommy." she tells me excitedly.

I sigh and look at Joe a look he knows all too well. "Does that mean you're not having dinner with daddy and I today Aubrey?"

She shakes her head vigorously. "No, me full." She says as she pats her stomach.

I sigh. "Ok, why don't you go play while daddy and I have dinner."

She smiles and kisses my cheek. "Ok mommy, I love you." she says before she starts skipping to her toys.

I turn around to face Joe. "Why? Why do you keep doing this? You know I cook every night, but my daughter doesn't eat on my table most of the time because you already fed her junk food that's not healthy for her."

"Baby, let's not get into this right now." he says as he tries to hold me and calm me down.

"Then when Joe? You always try to avoid the problem, we can't keep pretending it doesn't exist. I want her to be healthy. And feeding her out every night doesn't help keep her healthy."

"Demi, she hates eating vegetables all the time, she's a kid. It's her age to want to eat sweets and get on a sugar rush. You can't keep trying to control everything she eats." He says as he starts to get frustrated.

"It's not just the food Joe and you know it. It's the toys, the outings. You give her anything and everything she asks for. I don't want her to end up a spoilt brat that only depends on her parents." I place the plates a little too harshly on the table.

"She's not going to. She's still a kid. You're trying to treat her like an adult, guess what Demi, she's not. She's still a kid."

"I know that, but she's not going to be a kid forever. And if we keep treating her like a kid that's exactly what she's going to end up being." I say as I start stabbing my food angrily.

"I'm done with this conversation Demi. I don't want to hear this nonsense anymore." I watch him get up and take his plate to the living room and sit near Aubrey.

I sigh. I'm just trying to look out for my baby, why can't he see that?

I look at them interact, and wonder if I could possibly be a bad mother, but immediately push those thoughts away. I'm doing the best I can for my daughter. I know I am. I'm being the best mother I can be to her. It's not fait that he keeps overruling me every time when it comes to her.

She's my daughter too, but sometimes I feel like I don't have a place in her life. I sometimes feel like Joe just wants to take over and raise her himself. And that hurts me. She's my daughter too. And I love her. He just doesn't see it the way I do.