The Reaping

Teion opened his eyes. He stared at his bedside table. "Wake up!": a shrill voice yelled; it was his mother. She walked to his bedroom:" And wake the others up too will you.". Teion nodded. He hated his mother, she made him work from dawn till dusk in their butchery. She always called him awful names like; Rotten Mistake, Bonehead or even nonlife twerp. He was the oldest child of the family; sixteen years old, he had survived the reaping three times. When he thought about it, he wouldn't mind getting picked. He was suicidal anyway. Better first all that luxury and then death. He had promised himself he would volunteer that year. He didn't do it before because he thought his chances would be absolutely terrible. Even though he wanted to die, he didn't want to miss a life of luxury. But he could not wait any longer. He wanted to try. And now, finally, the day had come. He stood up and walked towards his little brother, woke him up and told him to go help his mom in the butchery. He continued this routine 8 times. Once all his brothers and sisters were awake, he dressed and walked towards the butchery. He grabbed the big knife he used to carve up the animals and started working. He cut the cadavers as if they were his enemies in the arena.

After a few hours h their mom said: "Ok kids, time to get ready for the reaping "She pulled Teion towards her and whispered: "I hope you get picked bonehead, I need the money and you're gonna give it to me, right?". Teion nodded in agreement: "Yes mom I will share it with you. He said this with no intention do what she wanted. He went to his room and pulled off his butterscotch, pulled down his pants and removed his T-shirt. For a brief moment he admired himself in the mirror but he quickly stopped since he heard one of his little brothers' approach. He would laugh for the rest of the day if he found him like that. Teion grabbed the only clean clothes he had and put them on, a shirt with clean trousers and clean socks. Teion grabbed all his little brothers and sisters by the hand and started walking towards the stage. It wasn't a long walk as they lived in the wealthier part of the district. They reached the signing in tables Where Peace-keepers were pricking fingers and pushing them against a piece of paper indicating they came to the reaping. He never thought about what happened if you didn't show up to the reaping; would you be hunted down? killed? Would they kill your family?

His thoughts were interrupted by one of his little brothers crying he had just turned twelve he looked up to Teion and said "what if ...breath...they p-p-pick...breath...me? ". Teion sat down on one knee and looked him in the eye and said with a smile on his face: "they won't. "His little brother looked confused:" Well they...breath... could, right?". Teions smile widened:" they cannot". his little brother now angry said: "you don't know that". Teions smile disappeared:" But I do know" and with that he stood up and walked on.

Once everyone was in place, the major talked into a microphone: citizens' of Panem, citizens of District 10, I give the word to our new representative from the capitol... Edith Reed!". There was no applause when Edith Read walked up to the stage. Her giant black wig and clothes gave a sad impression. It didn't seem like she wanted to be there. Teion decided to call her the goth lady. The goth lady turned from the major to the crowd and said: "Dear people of District 10, welcome to the reaping of the 34th hunger games. We start with an educational video. ". The video started. Teion watched while the same video he had watched his whole life repeat itself. Once the video was over the goth lady turned to the crowd and said:" As always, ladies first. The female tribute of District 10 was Veeona Pearson. "and now for the men": the goth lady said. Teion had been waiting for this moment. But before he could say anything she had shouted: "the male tribute of District 10 is Teion Kelly"