"Soaring 7Miles Above a Battle Field" - Review

- Review of: Soaring 7 Miles Above a Battle Field -

When I first opened this story and saw that it was told (at least at first) through letters, I was thrilled. I've always loved that sort of thing, and I think its a great way to give a peek into the relationship between two important characters.

As much as I loved seeing this strategy, I did find myself struggling to feel connected to the characters until into the second chapter when the chain of letters broke briefly. Storm0Wolf drops the reader into the action quickly, which is a point in favor for the author, as I am a shameless action/mystery/plot twist junkie.

While I enjoyed being dropped into the action, I didn't feel as though I was privy to unique voice of each character as I read their letters. A reader relates and begins to invest in characters as they see how they react to and think about situations that come upon them. In the early chapters of "Soaring 7Miles Above a Battle Field," the reader is there, but not truly participating yet.

But, alas! Close to the end of the first chapter, Falcon begins to come alive! A glib comment is made in one of his letters, and it gives that little insight to his sense of humor and choice of wit. I love to see that. I only wish I'd seen a few more hints along the way.

But after reading this, I started to get excited again. The first chapter closes with a haunting letter written by Falcon that is left unsent, as he puts to paper his struggle with guilt and shame and the morality of the war. He closes the letter and signs it: "Falcon the murderer". Brilliant!

At this point I was eating it up. And was well rewarded the further into the story that I got. Storm0Wolf continues with the letters between siblings, interspersed with pieces of narration that at times switch from third person, to first person, and then back to third person.

With a little polishing of the earlier letters, only to insert a bit more of Falcon and Nightingale's unique voices, this story is a gem. It's a fascinating idea. A brother toiling for a war he suspects is pointless while worrying over his young sister back home - in this day and age, who wouldn't want to read that? It's a great premise.

Even though Falcon struggles deeply with the motives of this war, he finds himself being unexpectedly pushed further up the ranks while dealing with the frightening and sudden disappearance of his sister, and troubling financial problems at home being reported by his younger brother.

This story is one that I will gladly follow as it progresses further! Kudos to you, Storm0Wolf!