Prologue

"Fuck me," I sighed, examining my injured finger. 

August laughed, but there was no humor behind it. "Give me a few more drinks and I just might."

"Funny."

"I'm glad you think so," August said, "Because from now on, it's important to remember that you're playing a part. We both are. And if you mess up on your lie, even just a little, everybody will figure us out." 

I glanced over at him. "And then what happens?"

"They'll find you," he sighed, "They always do."

-------------------

Ruby always knew that there was something strange about Pine Creek. People disappeared and never came back. Strange happenings were brushed under the rug. And everybody walked around like they carried a secret. 

But it isn't until she meets August Sandoval that she finds out that she's a prisoner in her own home, living in a fake town that was built to hide illegal activities. With her whole existence being thrown into perspective, Ruby knows that she needs to escape— no matter the cost. Everything is a lie; nobody is telling the truth. And August, a surly auto-repairman, is the only person who can help her try and leave once and for all. 

Question everything. Don't believe anyone. And most importantly, remember that nothing is how it seems. 

Especially August.

{contains mature content: sex, drugs, violence, swearing}