Twenty

© 2014 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

~KATYA~

The sudden chill hit me before I could react. With a sharp gasp, I pushed myself off the wall as fast as I had touched it. A stomach-churning feeling rose from within me. I wasn't alone.

A strong urge called me to touch the walls of the tunnel. Although I recalled Castor's words to retreat if he was gone for too long, I found myself still present in the same spot, my heart doing advanced aerobics like a grandma on steroids.

Then, as if the Moon Goddess wanted more than just frayed nerves for me, a hand locked around my forearm. My eyes widened and I panicked, twisting the arm over my shoulder as I kicked the legs out of beneath whoever had touch me. The person flew over me as I dragged the body up and across until it landed in front of me.

"Who are you?" I demanded, blinking quickly as if it would help me regain my eyesight.

"Katya, calm down. It's me."

I let out a relieved sigh, "Oh my Goddess. Really, Castor? You couldn't have just said my name instead of scaring me?"

"I'm sorry. I was out of breath. And I have good news: I found the light. We need to go fast, before I forget."

"Wait, Castor, I think there's something wrong." I breathed, searching around for him. Once I found his shirt, I took a deep breath. "I think there's something in the walls. Or maybe it's my lack of oxygen."

"You''re right. There is something in the walls." he noted. "Wraiths. That cold drop in temperature has to be it. Please tell me you didn't touch the wall."

"I did. But it was before the cold arrived. Why?"

"They can make you look the age you really are by taking away your life essence. For someone like Lorena, it can be deadly."

"Where are they?"

"Probably still on the trail with light. When I retraced our steps I noticed that the part we left was the only divergent path. Now do me and favor- I'm going to crouch down. Your hand is on my lower back so just find my shoulders and wrap your arms around my neck."

In doing so, I felt like a pre-schooler. "I haven't gotten a piggy-back ride since I was a child."

He laughed, "You still are a child."

_____________________________________________________________________________

~STARK~

Alric caught Iris before she fell, cradling her to him. "We need to get out of here. Fast."

"Stay close." I repeated. "I'll go first. Follow my steps."

Lorena dropped her backpack and wriggled out of her clothes. Before she dropped to the ground on all fours, she had turned into a fiery red wolf. Alric slipped Lorena's backpack around Iris's arms as he draped her along her mother's back. Loosening the straps enough so that they would then loops around Lorena's two front paws, we tightened the straps once more and secured the buckled in the front.

"Let's go." I nodded at Lorena as I shifted, making sure my vision was on infrared before taking off.

Iris's condition was worsening. I could sense it from the rarity of a strong heartbeat to come from her- for all I knew it could've just been overlapping with Lorena's heartbeat.

My jaw clenched and I let out a piercing howl that Lorena's echoed.

No one wanted to believe Iris was dead. We couldn't afford to have a mindset like that.