Prologue

His blood roared like the ocean in his ears as he ran, barely managing to stay quiet. Breaking into the castle was no easy feat, but he had no time to celebrate still being alive. Not until the task was complete.

He crept slowly up the stairs to the west west wing, practically tiptoeing on the cobblestone steps. Below him, in the ballroom, the celebration of the twins' christening raged on, the laughing, dancing, and glass clinking covering any unchecked sounds he was making. A faint glow was coming from the door directly ahead of him, and he crept forward, praying.

The heavy wooden door creaked softly in protest as he pushed it open. The walls were baby pink with solid gold trim lining the baseboards. Huge windows with champagne curtains cascading to the cream carpet were on either side of the room. On the ceiling, scattered around chandelier, cherubs hung, swaying softly. Directly in front of him sat a wide, white crib where the baby princesses slept. Dark tufts of hair fell over one set of rosy cheeks, while the other had a much lighter shade. Each baby was wrapped in a pink blanket with their name embroidered in gold across it; Echo and Lyric.

Hands shaking, he held up the power-meter to Lyric. It shot up and settled, measuring the baby's raw magic potential to well past most adult Light Angels, which was to be expected with her royal blood. Carefully, he turned the meter to Echo. Her little nose scrunched and she yawned, while her potential soared past her sister's, nearly breaking it. Astonished, he scooped Echo into his arm, feeling quite pleased with himself. With the more powerful baby out of the picture, the prophecy would never come true, and the Dark Angels would be able to live in peace without the little menace having the chance to banish them. He chuckled quietly to himself, making his way to the window.

The sharp, cold air hit his face, and as he settled himself to jump, he heard the singsong voice of the nanny, coming to check on the infants. He hurtled himself through the window, and her scream at realizing one of the children was missing filled the night. "Shit," he muttered, clutching the baby tight as he ran through the surrounding forest.

When he believed he was far enough away, he sat her down and opened the portal to the human dimension. Deep blue and purple light begin to swirl in the dark, just as Echo began to cry. Loud, piercing wails, and he lulled her back to sleep, but not before he saw her eyes. Shocking, electric blue eyes had peered at him, and he almost turned around. Almost.

Instead, he steeled his resolve, and kissed her head. In the next moment, Echo was thrown into the portal, the bright colors swirling around her, as she traveled to the human realm, and with a flash of white light, she and the portal were gone.