Chapter 1

I sighed and let out another deep breath and wiped my eyes causing the receptionest across from me to role her eyes.

I didnt care though. She doesn't understand. Im sitting here, trying to district my self from the inevitable.

I rerubbed my eyes trying to keep the tears away.

They were going to take my brother away.

My (our ) parents passed away in the summer, no not passed away, they were killed . By a thoughtless drunk driver who decided he wanted to go out for a burger.

They were lovely people, did various things for our community, and for us, their kids.

They left behind a two story old Victorian house, a car, some money in their bank accounts (not alot but i honestly didnt care about that ) me seventeen year old Zachary, they called me Zac , and a six year old boy, Alexzander. We all called him Zander.

Its a funny way to spell his name but what can i say, their unique.

Im here today, sitting outside a court room so they can decide whats going to happen with my baby brother.

Before the courts got involved in our life we were fine. Well as fine as we could possibly be.

I explained to Zander how mommy and daddy were in heaven. He didn't take the news very well at first, and i didn't expect him too. Neither had I.

I came up with a solution. Every night, wed go outside and look at the stars and talk to them because i told him thats where they went.

I belived it.

I had to mourn on my own time, late at night when no one was around and Zander was sound asleep.

Or sometimes when i was the last person in the locker room after football practice.

But we were getting by, untill the state caught up with us. You have to be 18 years of age to have legal custody of a sibbling and i am only 17.

They took him away from me about a week ago, i havent seen him since, hes been in a care home where theyve been questioning him about how well ive been caring for him i suppose.

I was called here in this fancy court room building for them to deliver the final verdict.

I know what its going to be, but i guess they have to deliver the news legally.

I was sitting there for an hour anxiously before I heard the large doors open. I was terrified to look up, but i almost screamed when i saw Zander sprinting towards me as fast as he could.

He was wearing the same thing i last saw him in, a red plaid top and tan pants but they seemed to be clean.

I met him half way and kneeled down to his hight taking him in my arms.

"Z?! Oh my god are you ok? Where they feeding you? Where you doing your homework? I missed you" I gushed as i squeezed him in a bone crushing hug.

"Zac i missed you! I did some of my homework but it was really hard without you helping me, your really smart yanno. tonight for dinner can we have the the spegeti shaped in circles?" He rambled on as he wraped his small arms around me.

I looked up behind Zander to see our social worker ,Cami , singling me to follower her outside urgently.

I grabbed Zanders hand quickly and followed wanting to know why she seem worried?

Cami was a calm and collected older lady. She had blonde hair that was almost all grey and she always wore the most nice suits. She smelled slightly of lemon and if gave you a comforting feel.

"Cami?" I asked her puzzled the second we reached outside"what's going on?'

"Zander sweetie, put your coat on , your brothers taking you to the park across the road after." she distracted him.

I reluctantly let go of Zanders hand as he began to slip it on.

I felt as if they'd take him away again.

"Im taking him to the park? Cami whats going on?" I demanded.

"Hush up Zac. Im going to explain quickly and quietly. There was a mistake made. They were about to make the desion to send your brother away when something caught the judges eye." She explained quickly glancing around. "It had your wrong birthdate, making you be 18 right now. Not 17."

I stood there sort of in shock. This sounded almost too good to be true.

The idiots who forced me to give up my brother made a mistake.

I couldn't help the smile breaking out across my face.

"The only reason they were going to take Zander out of your care was because you were only 17. The courts think they made a mistake and your really 18." She finished while tucking a loose strand behind her ear.

She then stood on her tip toes and whispered "According to the law as you know you have to be 18, to care for a sibbling alone. So as far as anyone goes, your going to say your 18"

I nodded my head unable to still drop my smile.

18? I could pass as 18. I am already a senior, its not like anyones going to question it.

It would be a peice of cake. This was truly a gift from the gods.

"Thank you Cami, thank you so much, thank you thank you. You literally saved me. Thank you." I cheered hugging her small frame.

"Yeah yeah its my job." She stated fixing her glasses. "If you ever need anything at all dont be afraid to ask. Now take that boy to the playground" she finished picking up her bags.

I watched he walk down and hail a taxi effortlessly.

"Yes Mam" i smiled at her , still shaking with the news.

I looked down at my little brother and regrabbed his hand.

"Come on time to go"

----------------

First chapter hope you enjoy :)