NIGMA Chapter 1

DRAKE'S PROGRESS

NIGMA

Frances Clark

Copyright 2012 © 

All Rights Reserved

CHAPTER 1

DOUBLE TROUBLE

Guided by centuries old celestial law and incognizant of its impending doom, the gigantic chunk of rock lumbered silently along. The asteroid's journey had carried it far beyond the realms of its violent birth.

Suddenly a shattering cosmic impact sent it hurtling on a different course. One that would affect many and engrave a new chapter into history.

Released from its ancient orbit by the mighty stellar collision, the scorching jagged mass blazed a swift and fiery trail till gravity obliged to end its flight. Its gigantic size reduced little on plummeting through the atmosphere of the small verdant sphere. White hot and blistering, the meteor slammed into the planet's crust with catastrophic force. Its sonic boom echoed menacingly across the trembling land. Matter surged upwards. A sinister groping hand of raw energy, reaching out into the limitless void…

*

Drake pushed through the wall of the shower bubble then from inside lightly touched its translucent casing. Mentally selecting the required cycle, he relaxed into the warm cleansing water as it sprayed from a myriad tiny holes above his head. He lathered his thick dark hair, scrubbed his body then faced into the spray as it freshened to rinse the soap away. The water ceased, the tiny holes vanished, warm air began to blow from multiple outlets appearing within the blister. Drake's skin dried quickly and by silent command, the air vents abruptly disappeared.

He stepped out through the membrane, half turning to glance at his reflection in the bubble's shiny mirror-like surface. With CC's continuous support, the last century had been kind to his six foot plus human form. As he stepped through the bathroom wall into his sleeping quarters, he finger combed his still damp hair to tidy its short wavy cut.

He pressed the panel above a small alcove beside the large bed and watched as a full set of neatly folded clothes appeared. Drake removed the damp meldkey from his right wrist, placing it on the small silvery illuminated bedside table to air for a moment. The metallic band rarely left his person. He felt more than naked without it. It was his link— his lifeline to his ship.

He slipped into his under-shorts, black ribbed shirt and stretch pants before shrugging into his dark grey protective vest with its unique collection of small tools. He sat on the bed to pull on his thick grey socks. Finally, he tucked his feet into black calf length boots and secured the metal side clasps. Standing up he grabbed his meldkey, making to place it back on his wrist…

There was a blinding flash. The ship lurched violently, throwing him heavily to the floor. His head hit the base of CC's glowing central column. For a moment he lay stunned, unable to move. Slowly, he opened his eyes to the warm luminance of the column flickering and fading— flickering and fading. The golden light gradually returned to its normal slightly rhythmic glow.

Dazed and disoriented, Drake sat up, gingerly touching his head. Beneath his hair, grew a small painful egg shaped lump. Had the column's short light show been his mind playing tricks? He felt strangely weak, as though his energy had been drained. Weird echoes reverberated through his head as he struggled to his feet. Something was terribly wrong. His ship began to make peculiar tortured groaning sounds.

"The control room— must get to the control room," muttered Drake, as he battled the confusion wreaking havoc in his head. Clutching his meldkey in one hand, he used the other to grasp anything solid to steady himself against his ship's erratic movements.