Chapter One: Welcome to the Digital World

Birds are chirping in the morning as everyone opens their stores for business. The warm, bright, sun shines down at a window where a young girl with short brown hair and blonde highlights that touches at the bottom of her neck, tosses and turns from her bed. Her face scrunched up from the rays of the sun. She begins to open her eyes as she stretches her arms. "Ugh..." She groaned. "Another day of boredom." She glances at her alarm clock to see that it's 7:00 am. "Well Teri, better get dressed for school." Teri lifts her blanket and gets off from her bed and goes to her drawers, finding an outfit to wear. Teri picks out a red, sleeveless turtleneck, blue jeans, white socks, and black shoes. She grabs a pair of grey, fingerless gloves and finally, puts on a locket that she got from her 10th birthday.

On the surface of her dresser, a photo of herself when she was little, along with her mom and dad. Teri grabs the portrait as she touches the picture of her dad. "I miss ya, pops. I know you wouldn't want to see your little girl sad." Teri said. Her father was a veteran and passed away when he sacrificed himself to save his friends from a bomb that was going to hit at their base. He became a hero that day and Teri didn't take it very well with her dad gone from her life.

The very last words he said to his daughter was "Don't let anyone take advantage of you. Be strong and be brave." He gave a pair of black goggles that he wore when he was a kid, and put it on her head. "You're the leader of this house now. Take care of your mom for me, okay? I love you, Teresa. My little Kitsune angel."

A teardrop fell onto the glass of the photo. Teri remembers the day when he left and said those words to her. She wipes off the remaining tears from her face and maintains her emotions. "Wish me luck, pops." She puts on her maroon headband and a pair of black goggles on top of it. She kisses the tip of her two fingers, placing them on the forehead of her dad. "I love you." Teri leaves her room as she goes down the stairs. "Morning, mom!" Her mom places pancakes on her daughter's plate and Teri went to sit down on the chair. She begins to eat her breakfast. "Better eat fast, sweetie. You're going to be late for school." Her mom informs her. "Mom, relax. It's the last day of school." Teri laughs. "Don't worry."

"Oh! That reminds me." Her mom said. "Teri, Edward is coming over today with his daughter for dinner."

Teri almost chokes from her orange juice. "Him?! And with that little terror?! Here?!"

"Now Teresa. You have to be nice to them."

"Mom! I don't like him or his daughter." She slouches her chair.

"Sweetheart," Her mom grabs a chair and sits down. "I know you don't. But, you have to do this; please do it for me?"

Teri sighs. "I just... don't want you to get hurt again." Teri looks back at the memory of her mom coming home, crying in tears. Teri has to be the one to comfort her now since her dad can no longer be there for his wife. Her mom smiles at her daughter's protection.

"I'm glad that you're looking out for me, Teresa. You know I love you, right?" She asked.

"I know, mom. Me too." Teri hugs her mom. Her mother is the only thing she has left in her life. Nothing could ever interrupt this sweet moment.

Then, a horn blares out which broke up the mother/daughter moment.

"Who's that?"

"Oh, that's another thing I forgot to mention..." Her mom laughs awkwardly.

A voice calls out; "Rosaline! Is she ready to go?"

Teri's right eye twitched. "He's driving me to school?"

"I called him because I have an appointment from my job at the hair salon. I wouldn't be able to drive you there on time." Her mom explained.

'Well, it looks like I don't have a choice.' She thought. 'At least things couldn't get any worse.'