1

The small freckled girl with brown hair and big blue eyes ran off the bus, and looked around for her foster mother.
"Mana? Mana??" She called looking around into the group of children being picked up by their parents.

She almost burst into tears when she couldn't find her Mana. The tears welled up and her lip quivered but she calmed herself down. The resilience of this 9 year old was astounding, in that she realized she could walk home by herself as everyone else had left. The little girl walked home, singing a little song to herself that she learned in school to keep herself busy.

When she got home, she found the door open, which didnt make sense but she figured Mana was about to come get her. She crept further into the house, dropping her backpack and taking off her shoes when she heard it. The blood curdling scream of her Mana sent her running to the living room, where she stood in fear at the scene before her. Mana looked lifeless as she laid on the ground, drenched in her own blood, knife in hand. That's when she made eye contact with a woman with long white hair who stood and wiped blood off her lips.
'Who are you?' Her head screamed

"There,there little Rose." She called sweetly and approached the child.

The woman held her cheek and kissed her tears that had been running, steaming down her face.

"No need to cry little Rose." She cooed as she held the girl's little hand and pricked it, letting blood run.

She was so caught up in fear and shock that she froze and couldn't speak as the woman licked the blood off her finger and exposed her fangs.
The white haired woman moved her head to the girl's neck and she moved to bite when a car door slammed outside,then another, and another.

"Seems I've been interrupted. Until next night little rose." She whispered into her neck before kissing it and disappearing.

The fear freezing her to her spot dissipated and she ran to hide under her bed. She shook and choked on sobs as she hid under the bed, clutching herself and her necklace like it was her saving grace. That's when she heard footsteps approaching her, she went quiet, forcing back her whimpers. The footsteps left and slowly went away from her. She sighed a shaky breath before being yanked out from under the bed with a yelp.

A gun pointed at her head made her tears run once again. The owner of the gun stood with black hair and a cowboy hat, mostly wearing beige.
His blue eyes focused and ready to shoot if you moved too suddenly.
She flinched and his eyes softened.

" You live here dont you?" He asked calmly

She nodded her head rapidly and he held her hand, dragging her outside and down the sidewalk to his black Mustang.
He buckled her in the front seat, which was no place for a small 9 year old and they drove off. Her eyes fixed on him as he drove in silence.
She wanted to know where they were going, but she couldn't will herself to speak and break the silence. He could be taking her to her death and she wouldnt know it. The dread never left as they drove away from her old home. The silent tears fell as they drove and she stared at her lap, unknowing of the future.

"I'm taking you to a good friend's house. He'll take care of you."

He looked at her and she  continued to stare at her lap. When they arrived, she didnt notice the car stop, or the man next to her getting out. It wasnt until her door opened that she looked up. He grabbed her arm and helped her gently out of the car and then she stopped walking. The man gently pushed the girl by the small of her back and she walked faster until they reached the front door. He knocked on the door and she looked up at the man in front of her. His dirty blonde hair was in a ponytail and his green sweater wrapped around his shoulders.

"Toga? What're you doing here? Who is this?"

He asked so many questions but was cut off with an answer that didnt really answer any of his questions.

"Dropping off your new charge,come on, the car's running."
Was all the man said as he left, heading back to his car in the snow.

"Come on in, you must be freezing." He said as he pushed you inside

Upon entering, two kids around your age sat and stared as you stood there cowering behind Kaien. He reached down in front of him to pat your shoulder before noticing you were gone. He turned to see you behind him,  clutching his sweater. He patted your back and pushed you in front of him.

"This is your new sister. Please take care of her while I run out. Her family was attacked by a bad vampire." Is all he said as he smiled and left with his coat.

"My name is Yuki, and this is Zero. What's your name?" Asked the girl with brown hair and brownish red eyes as she introduced herself and the silver haired boy.

The girl shook her head, what was her name? She couldn't speak no matter how much she willed herself to speak.

"She's probably in shock." Spoke Zero

"Oh, well come on then lets get you to the bath." Yuki said realizing, in an apologetic way, she looked at her and lead her to the bathroom.

She scrubbed the blood off the girl's arms and cheek.

"I'll be right back I have to get some clothes for you to change into." She smiled and left the door open.

"There, there little rose." The words repeated themselves in her head.
She remembered the feeling of that woman kissing her neck. It burns there and she starts scratching. The scene replays itself and she keeps scratching in a daze until someone grabs her wrist.

"Stop it would you!" It was the silver haired boy.

She stopped. He was calming, almost familiar to her as she stared at him closer. The girl started crying and clutched to his shoulder and he held her there and patted her head before releasing her.

"I'll be right back. I'm going to get something for you neck." He stood slowly and stopped to look at her as she curled into her knees.

Her face flush with her now ratty blue sweater and denim pinafore. She waited until he came back and she gripped his hand as he applied the alcohol, stinging her neck, and the bandaid. Afterwards, he left her to get in the bath and Yuki came in with something for her to wear.

"It took me forever but I found something that would fit you." She said holding up a light blue nightgown with white trim. The girl slipped it on and was shown to another bedroom.

"He'll be back by tomorrow, and we can talk then. Sleep well." Yuki closed the door and left the girl to slip into a plush bed.