Chapter Three

I left my dorm room at quarter to eight and made my way to the fountain, my mind swirling with a storm of thoughts. Josh and Rachel; Conor; Jackson; everything was confusing and unsettling. I'd made up with Josh as soon as he'd gotten back to our room last night. I was asleep but he'd climbed into bed beside me and spooned up behind me, causing me to wake up. His arm was around my middle and he was nodding off so I just put my hand over his and went back to sleep. If I didn't know with categorical certainty that he was straight, I'd know with categorical certainty that he was gay.

This caused a little friction with Rachel though, who still wasn't talking to me and was upset with Josh for making up with me. Josh and I have been best friends for eight years though, and we never stay mad at one another for long. Rachel on the other hand...

I pushed these negative thoughts out of my mind as I sat on the rim of the fountain waiting for Jackson. In their place flooded thoughts of Conor and I couldn't help grinning as I thought of our meeting behind the prefab earlier after he got out of detention.

'I don't even know why I'm bothering with you,' he said moodily. 'You got me a week's detention.'

'You got yourself a week's detention.' I was leaning my shoulder up against the prefab wall with my arms crossed in my trademark position.

A few more snarky comments was all it took before I was pressed up against the wall with my shirt undone, his fingers running smoothly up and down my chest while mine gently caressed his neck. We were making out furiously and he bit down on my bottom lip. I couldn't help my gasp of surprise as his fingers gently brushed my bulge; this was totally new and unexpected.

Conor grinned smugly into the kiss and moved his hands back up to my neck. He yanked my hair roughly before picking up his schoolbag and walking away without another word. I was left panting against the prefab wall, before I groaned in annoyance and unrealised pleasure, and walked back to my dorm room.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I saw a familiar figure approaching through the dimness; it was November now and getting dark well before eight at night. The street lights dotted around campus illuminated Jackson's face as he passed under one and I realised he was cuter than I remembered. His cheekbones were sharper and his lips were pink and kissable.

'Hey,' he smiled when he reached the fountain, pulling me into a hug as if it were completely natural.

'Hey,' I replied, bringing my hands up after a second to pat his back. 'You get here okay?' I pulled back and started walking in the direction of the Coffee Dock.

'Yeah, my mom dropped me off,' he answered, slipping his hand into mine and twining our fingers.

'Eh... Okay,' I said, more in response to his action than his words. His hand was warm and dry and felt good in mine, and I couldn't figure out why I thought it was presumptuous after the entirely obnoxious way Conor had been treating me for the past two months.

'Hey, so I'm paying this time, you paid for the drinks at the gig,' he went on, swinging our joined hands slightly. He was still perky but seemed less nervous than last time. 'Oh!' he said suddenly, dropping his decibel level so I had to lean closer to hear him. 'Do you think we might see Conor Archibald or the others while I'm here? That would be cool.'

I resisted the urge to launch into a tirade about how annoying, irritating, obnoxious, sexy, arrogant, self-centred, beautiful, disgusting, discriminatory, and downright abusive Conor Archibald is and instead held open the door of the Coffee Dock for Jackson.

Penelope Fontaine, or Loopy, was behind the counter, sitting on a stool and flicking through some girly magazine or other boredly. She looked up when she heard the door opening and grinned when she saw us walking in. Loopy's parents are loaded but she has a tendency to go completely off the rails once a term and try to escape, so in an effort to teach her responsibility they forced her to apply for a job at the Coffee Dock. I like Loopy, but she's become really good friends with Rachel who is also something of a rebel, and I could tell from her grin that she'd been let in on all the details of my date with Jackson.