Chapter 2

Chapter 2 

His motorcycle roared to life, a signal that I needed to put my key in the ignition. I didn't look to the right as I backed out of our spot, but I knew I'd cleared all prone forms when I didn't hit any speed bumps. The persistent roar of the motorcycle reassured me as I pulled out of the parking lot and headed south just as he'd said. After a few minutes, we passed the town's sign thanking us for visiting. 

The adrenaline from the confrontation stayed with me for a few more miles then I started to slump. 

The motorcycle suddenly grew louder, and I checked my mirrors, only swerving a little at the distraction. He pulled out from behind me as if to pass but, instead, stayed next to me. I spared a quick glance at him. He rode with his visor up so I could see his troubled eyes. 

He pointed to a spot in front of us-a small combination used car lot, junkyard, and farm implement supplier-and motioned for me to pull over. I nodded, fumbled for the blinker, and braked firmly. Thankfully, I'd pressed the correct pedal. I turned onto the gravel driveway still going a bit too fast, and my tires slid over the gravel for a few feet, making my backend swerve. I barely managed to pull to the side and park. 

Heart racing from the wild turn, I put my head back against the headrest, closed my eyes, and willed myself to stop shaking. The boys remained mute behind me. I knew I needed to reassure them, not just about my driving but also about our future. I didn't know what I could say that wouldn't end up as a lie. Would everything be okay? David had found us, they could follow our vehicle, and I appeared to be listening to a complete stranger. No, I had nothing. 

A knock on my window made me jump. The man stood next to my door, his motorcycle already parked behind him. He eyed me with concern. I hadn't even noticed the roar of his engine die. This close I could distinguish the deep blue of his eyes from his pupils. I cautiously rolled down the window a few inches. 

"You were starting to swerve," he said quietly, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "How long since you last slept?" 

I didn't want to admit that the swerving was just the way I drove. I considered his question. About thirty-three hours if I counted the very short nap I'd taken while stopped at a stop sign until someone had honked at me. I knew people could survive a heck of a lot longer than that without sleeping. I wasn't sure I could go much longer, though. 

"It's been a while." My voice came out scratchy. 

"That man, David, hinted this was how he followed you," he said gesturing to the car. 

It took me a moment to catch up with his thinking, and I understood why he'd wanted me to pull over here specifically. I needed a different car. 

I looked at the single small building on the property. A man stood just outside the door, watching us. When the man noticed my attention, he started walking toward us. My stomach flipped and not in a good way. I had no idea what I was doing. 

"Come on, guys. Let's unbuckle and get out. Stay close," I said unnecessarily. The man backed up so I could open my door. He glanced at the salesman then turned his attention back to us...me. 

I really needed to ask his name, but the salesman wasted no time closing the distance between us. 

"Howdy, folks. What can I do for you?" 

"I need a different car," I said while Aden climbed out and moved close to me. Liam already stood at my side. I gently ran my fingers through their hair, trying to give them what comfort I could without being obvious about it. 

"A trade?" the salesman said. I nodded, and he looked thoughtful. "To be honest, your car is probably worth two of any of the cars I have." 

I glanced at my mother's car. The bright red paint sparkled in the afternoon sun. I didn't know a thing about cars, but even four years old, it still looked new. Part of me wanted to cry at the thought of leaving it behind. I had nothing else of hers. When we'd run, we'd run fast, just as Richard had said. I hadn't even grabbed any clothes.