Deadly Solace

Kelly poured the tea. Her hand trembled slightly. The heavy footsteps above beckoned her.

Tea in hand. Kelly climbed the stairs. Her heart raced along with the loud footsteps that paced the floor overhead.

she pushed open the door and walked in.

"About bloody time!" the dark figure grunted. The hot tea was swiped out of her hand.

Kelly stood frozen to the spot. Her mind racing,it was a mood she was all to familiar with these days.

The large figure spat out the tea "Where's the sugar?!" he yelled. Kelly began to shake uncontrollably. He swung his hand,the back of which caught Kelly on the side of the face. She lost her balance and stumbled back. She reached out for something to break her fall but nothing was there.

"Well?!" the large figure crouched down in front of her. Dazed;Kelly tried to get to her feet. "I'm talking to you!" he shouted before reaching down and grabbing a handful of Kelly's curly blond hair. Kelly let out a painful cry as he dragged her across the floor,the carpet burning her knees as she was pulled back out of the room.

She caught sight of the stairs "Mark please don't!" she screamed trying to get him to release his grip. She knew when he was in this mood he was actually capable of anything and wouldn't hesitate before slinging her down the stairs.

Kelly managed to get to her feet as he tightened his grip around her hair and marched her down the stairs. Stumbling on the last step,Kelly hit the floor once again. She clawed at Marks hands trying to get him to release his grip.

He pulled her into the kitchen and left her in a heap on the cold tiled floor then disappeared back out of the kitchen.

Kelly pulled up the leg of her trousers to reveal her red puffy knees that where throbbing like crazy. She quickly covered them back up and struggled to her feet.

She poured the fresh cup of tea,this time making sure to remember to add the sugar. Tea in hand she limped through to the living- room where she handed Mark the tea.

"See that wasn't hard was it." he said after tasting the tea. Kelly turned and headed back out of the door. "Oh Kelly" Mark shouted after her "The lads are coming round tonight so tidy yourself up there's a good girl." Kelly just kept walking. She knew exactly what he meant when he said the lads were coming round. Beer,nibbles and just her being the perfect wife,however there were rules,rules that Kelly had to follow. she remembered all to well the first time she had broken such rules,it was the first time she had experience his rage.

Kelly limped out of the bathroom, the baggy jumper she was wearing did nothing for her slim figure. Her curly blond hair was tied back loosely. A light layer of foundation covered  the small area of bruising below her right eye. The timer in the kitchen started beeping. Kelly quickened her pace,well as much as she could with the amount of pain she was in and headed down to the kitchen.

She pulled open the oven,just in time she thought as she lifted out the small nibbles. Kelly composed herself and headed toward the room that the laughter was coming from. The room fell silent as Kelly placed the nibbles on the table before taking her place on the arm of Marks chair.

"These nibbles are great Kelly." Kevin said reaching forward to grab some more. Kelly kept her eyes firmly fixed on the floor. She knew the rule, no eye contact and definitely no talking. Kelly sat quietly on the arm of the chair,smiling at Mark whenever she needed to. The time seemed to be dragging. Kelly waited for the right time to make her move up to bed. The conversation soon turned to football which was her chance to get away.

"I'm off to bed now." Kelly said to Mark. Mark patted her behind and mumbled a comment about waiting up for him which made all the lads laugh.

Kelly let out a sigh of relief when she closed the door behind her,ignoring the comment altogether. She shuddered at the very thought of it as she climbed the stairs. Kelly reached the top of the stairs just as her leg gave way beneath her. She stumbled but managed to steady herself.

"Are you OK Kelly?" the gentle voice asked. Kelly looked up to see Tom standing there. "Whats wrong?" he asked moving closer. Kelly put up her hand warning him not to come any closer. Tom was like Marks little brother;they worked together and it was clear to whoever met them just how much Tom idolised him. He wanted to learn mechanics and Mark,a top mechanic himself took him under his wing.

"I just tripped on the last step that's all." Kelly replied standing awkwardly which just brought more attention to her legs. "Listen I'm fine,can we just forget this happened." Kelly couldn't take the chance of letting Tom go back to Mark and tell him what had just happened. Tom agreed so Kelly continued to her room.

Kelly climbed into bed and pulled the covers up to her neck. It was a relief to finally get the weight off her knees,that were still throbbing and had actually started to swell. Surrounded by darkness,Kelly closed her eyes and soon drifted off to sleep.