Chapter 42: The Final Enemy

[f]

~The Deviants' HQ~

"Good evening, everyone," Ruff greeted the people with a slight nod of his head, standing on the high podium of the large, rundown warehouse. There was a more elevated part of the vast room by the entrance of it, giving him an overview of his audience, a large, drawn diagram of war strategies pasted on the wall behind him. "I need to ask for your full and undivided attention as we discuss our method of attack."

The room was already quiet; Chi swore, with herself sitting with her comrades in the front and center table, she could've heard a pin drop if one had the heart to shatter such a deafening silence.

"Let's get started," Ruff declared, clearing his throat. "Two days from now, we will be stationed atop of Wall Rose, overlooking the filled areas inside of Wall Maria. Our place of focus will be the Trost District; ever since the previous attack, it has been a hotspot for attracting titans. Human activity has promoted its magnitude of attraction.

"We will be sticking to similar tactics for both Wall Maria, Shiganshina, and the outside. Every single one of us will start at the same point, and from there, we will fan out. We will follow a three-tiered formation; I have assigned two-hundred of our finest soldiers to the outermost tier: the first one. Your job will be to lessen the tremendous amount of titans that have started charging for our formation. It is most important that you do not lose your lives; the reason that our best are out on the furthest frontier is because of your expertise and experience with titans—meaning you all have the least probability of losing your lives. You will be the backbone of this entire expedition; we must have the two-hundred of you lightening the load, or we will be easily crushed. Your area is a perimeter of about ten to fifteen kilometers from our base; it seems like little now, but the vast expanse of land will leave you concentrated very sparsely.

"The second tier, the middle tier: it is your jobs to do three things: one, several of the three-hundred of you are responsible for keeping a portion of our supply, including food, gas, and other equipment. If the first tier happens to need anything at all, you should have it at hand. If anything happens to the first tier, I expect several of you to immediately report it to the third tier at topmost speed. That is another one of your jobs that is extremely vital to us in order to maintain communication. Your third job is to loosen large pockets of titans. There will surely be times where groups of dozens of titans will come charging despite the first tier's efforts; it shall be your job to disassemble those and reduce the work for the third tier by another twenty-five percent. I have specifically chosen your personnel because of your area of skill in agility and responsibility. Your perimeter is approximately eight to ten kilometers from our base.

"And the third tier—the innermost. The four-hundred of you have a job that should not be too complicated, and I have chosen each of you because of your speed and ability in battle. It is your job to attract titans, which will be done easily with the majority of us concentrated in this pocket of area. You will be stationed within six kilometers of our base, and here, we will encounter the last of the titans, which should still be around fifty to seventy percent of the original quantity you would've had to battle if not for the first and second tiers. You all have the duty of finishing them off here; it will be a bloodbath, but it is expected that with your levels of chosen strength, that you will take care of the job.

"The last of you have special jobs. You do not work in the tiers—rather, you are on solo missions. I have picked you because of your ability in not only evasiveness and stealth, but also because of your knowledge, security, and capabilities of reconnaissance. As our messengers, it is crucial that you stay alive. Those of you must survey the titans; inspect not only our own Deviants and their fighting, but the titans as a whole. Jump in battle only if necessary, because you are our one of prime sources for communication. In return to the Scout Regiment for providing us as much as they have, we have promised to give them as much intelligence as we can collect. This, we must return; we Deviants must uphold our piety of never going back on our word!"