Third Grade

"Hey give them back!" A scrawny little boy yelled jumping up reaching for his glasses.

"You have to reach em first!" A tall boy said dangling the glasses over his head.

Kids gathered around laughing and pointing. Of course, he was use to it.

"Danny leave him alone!" A girl ran out into the circle of kids.

"Aw your little girl friend is gonna save you?" Danny teased throwing the glasses at the other boys feet.

The little boy put his head down to the sound of laughing kids. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey Ashton, it's okay."

"No it's not Elouise! It's not okay! I hate my life!" Ashton picked up his glasses and stormed off.

"Loser!" Danny yelled after him.

Elouise turned around and charged at Danny.

She bit his arm and he screamed.

Ashton turned around and so did Mrs.Strider.

"What on earth is going on out here!?" Mrs.Strider yelled from the classroom.

"She bit me!" Danny cried and pointed at Elouise who stuck her tongue out.

The sound of heels clicking the pavement grew closer.

"Miss. León come with me, we are calling your parents!" She grabbed her by the arm and they walked back inside passing Ashton.

Ashton looked at her and she smiled.

"Mr. Irwin? What are you doing? Recess isn't over" she questioned.

"I know" he smiled. He was missing his two front teeth.

"Well, either come inside with us or go back to the playground with your friends" Mrs.Strider looked down at him waiting for an answer.

"Okay" Ashton responded leading the way inside.