Hurting Lake - Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

    “Wake up! It’s time to go!”

    I heard my sister’s voice coming from somewhere near my doorway.  I opened my eyes to find my sister standing there in a plain outfit.  She was too much of an over-achiever to care how she looked.  My looks are the only thing she’s not better at than me.  Janie was always who my parents wanted my to be.

    “Why can’t you be more involved at school like your sister?”  My mom would always ask me.

    I made good grades, but I wasn’t “involved” enough with school, according to my mother.  Janie is on the Debate Team, Tennis eam, Swim Team, and just about ay other club or team that the school had.  Me? I was in… nothing.

    “Fine.  Get out.  I’ll be down in a few minutes,” I told her.

    I got up and put on my favorite jeans and a v-neck t-shirt with skulls.  I did my make-up, then slid on my converse.  When I got downstairs, Janie was waiting with the car keys.

    “hurry up!  I still have to make a few stops before we head to school!” she said.

    We stopped at the gas station first to get gas.  She sent me inside to pay, and I decided to grab some snacks, since she so rudely did not let me eat this morning.  I got to the chip aisle and bumped into a guy.  He had the shaggy, skater/emo haircut -- blonde hair, by the way -- and a shirt with the words “Green Day” on it.  One of my favorite bands.

    “Excuse me,” I said.

    He smiled and said, “No problem.”

    I started to turn around when he said something else.

    “I’m Justin, by the way.”

    I took a good look at him.  He looked pretty safe, at least 16. So, as safe as any 16-year-old boy is.

    “Lake.”

    He was still smiling, and had a new light in his eyes.  I smiled, got the chips and drinks, paid for everything, then left him standing in the chip aisle.

    “What took you so long? -” Janie started.

    “Janie, I was only in there for 5 minutes.  Besides, you’re still pumping gas.  It’s not like you were sitting in the car waiting.  Oh, and I got us some chips and drinks, since you insisted we leave so early this morning.” I said, cutting her off.

    I got in the car and looked in the gas station window.  Justin was looking out at the car.  When he saw me looking, he waved.  I had just put my hand up to wave back when Janie got back into the car.   

“Who are you smiling at waving at?” she asked.

    She followed my gaze, then whistled.

    “Girl, he’s hot.  Who is he?”

    “His name is Justin.  I accentually bumped into him, and he just smiled at me and told me his name.  I wonder if he goes to our school…” I said, trailing off.

    He goes to our school.  We pulled up in the parking lot of Lincoln High, and I look over at the vehicle we pulled in next to, and guess who was there? The famous Justin, himself!

    He must have known someone was looking at him, because he looked over at our car and laughed.  I got out and leaned on the side of his truck. I motioned for him to roll down his window.

    “Hey, are you following me?  I just might have to report you for that.”  I said, teasing him.

    “Hey! How do you know you’re not the one following me?  I was at the gas station first, and I was here first,” he said, returning my smile.