Prologue

I stopped before the massive iron gates that separated me from the chocolate factory and took the time to adjust my black bow tie and the collar on my red and blue striped shirt. The chocolate master didn't tolerate untidiness, and I didn't want to disappoint him.

The iron bars felt cold between my fingers as I peered between them and at the factory on the other side. The white 'WONKA' sign was still lit up, and the chimney was still billowing out white smoke that clashed against the twilight sky. I sighed a breath of relief. The day's events hadn't erupted into total chaos after all. My judgment had been sound, thankfully.

I reached into the pockets of my black dress pants and pulled out a key - the key to the factory. Inserting it into the lock, I opened the gate and stepped inside. I took the key out and silently closed the gates before pocketing it. The chocolate master would be angry if I accidentally left an opening. He didn't take kindly to visitors. Not until today, at least.

I walked down the red carpet I had watched the chocolate master limp down earlier today. He had been quite impressive, fooling everyone. That man was an eccentric, that one, but I loved him for it. Nobody knew much about him, nobody except for myself and his workers, of course. A few years ago he became one of the greatest chocolate makers in the world, and it was also a few years ago that he suddenly became reclusive. The chocolate master refused to make public appearances, and he fired all his workers. Nobody ever came into his factory, and nobody ever came out. It was a mystery. A mystery that, until today, had never been solved by ordinary humans.

I took my key out again to open the factory door and quickly went inside and pocketed my key yet again. The warm room was a relief from the chilly air outside.

An Oompa Loompa scurried over to me and informed me that the chocolate master would be seeing me soon. He was finalizing some details with the boy, Charlie. I gave thanks to the Oompa Loompa and took a seat outside of his office.

It had been awhile since I had last been in the factory, and it hadn't changed a bit. The paintings we made together were still hanging on the wall, and the receipt from my store's first order was still framed in all its glory. I smiled at the crumpled receipt in the golden frame, remembering how it came to be, how the little boy in the office behind me came to be, and most importantly, how we came to be.