Do Something

The sun gleamed softly as it touched her skin. With every ray of light it seeped into each pore of her face. How refreshing, yet so abominable. Her smile, so crisp and white. It reflected against the light of the sun even. Her perfect brown curls lay voluminously around her head. You could mistake for a goddess, she wasn't meant for this Earth. She was so perfect, so pure and everything she did was absolutely wonderful.
" Look at the sun as it stares into mine own eyes, pools of honey flow through them and the sun only glows with happiness" she breathed effortlessly the words that came out her mouth. As quiet as they were, they were distinct. Like the keys on the piano, precious but demanding of attention. Like the piano, if heard too often it just drowns in the background along with all the other nonsense of the human mind.
Her skin golden, but not tanned for she was born this way. Her fingertips, like silk soft and costly. Her lips are soft, but only because of the honey she places on a daily basis. It was disgusting. Perfection only lead to my insanity and for me, a guardian it left me upset. I am in control and responsible for the life of this human being.
Don't get me wrong she does no wrong, but what am I supposed to do with this. All she does is sit and lay under the sun. Everyone admired the beauty of this "goddess who walks among Earth". I urge her and give her signs saying " Delilah go out into the garden and pick the fruit from it". I tell her to let the pain from the thorns break her, so that she can grow from it. Yet she denied all my sayings and refuses to think outside the lines. What is it to be beautiful without a personality? Where are her hobbies? Where are her friends? Why does she sit with the only thought of how the sun touches her skin?
I started to wonder if I was even dealing with a human being. A robot she must be I thought to myself. I paced the station system thinking of a plan that would get Delilah to do something. At this moment I was desperate for her to do anything. I decided to trigger her, to bring a memory and maybe it will cause her to act. I can protect her from stupidity but she has to think for herself.
I sat back down in and put the VR and headset back on. I was in guardian mode and as always the room shifted as I entered the realm of Earth. She sat crossed legged on her bed which had no frame. She looked blankly into nothingness and I felt this was the perfect time. I pressed the memory button on my keyboard and searched through each one, hoping to find one that would create a reaction. There was nothing. Only memories of her sitting and staring blankly, doing and thinking about nothing. How would that help me? Before I became frustrated and threw my headphones across the room, I heard a voice.
"Delilah!" With great relief I found that this was voice of her mother, Parishna. Everything she did was extremely agreeable on my part. She was the only human I was very found of. " Delilah could you clean your room. I am going to the library and if you want to come be ready before five." Yes,yes,yes I was thrilled to here this. All she needed to do was clean her room, then she would be at the library. Say yes Delilah!
"No thanks Mama, but I will clean my room. It will be most tidy before you arrive back." This son of a peanut butter truffle. I couldn't believe the atrocities of this one human. The assignment of Delilah was the worst and I wish I hadn't gotten this one. I called it quits for the day. Watching this human literally waste her life was more than displeasing. It was soul-wrenching. It was okay for me to leave Delilah because she did nothing, spoke of nothing, and thought absolutely nothing. Once she did have a thought, but it was about how the sun touched her skin.
Tired and bored I slid from my station and walked over to Wyatt's. Wyatt was the guardian of Delilah's soulmate, Dylan.
"Oh, Wyatt!" He sat there diligently pressing buttons and tapping key with his eyes fixed to the screen. Something I wish I could do, but not with Delilah. Eventually he mumbled irritated words.
"What do you want Mareesh?" I had answered him but he didn't hear me, so I just peaked over his shoulder. There Dylan was, at the shop talking to Parishna. His greenish eyes glimmered and the dimples in his cheeks were never faint in conversation. His serious eyes and long wavy brown hair was the main attraction. What saddened me was that he talked of things, he felt things, and Dylan thought things. Delilah had no personality and did very little. How was I supposed to get her to him? I wanted some much for her to have him. For her to feel love not only from the sun, but from a human being. I wanted her to admire the way he touches her skin and love a smile other than her own.
I stood there looking at my feet in thought. Wyatt had stopped typing to take a break as Dylan had gone to sleep. He stood and stretched making the most bombasterous noises. He turned to me a yawned "What's wrong?".
"I've got a broken human."
"Now don't say that, Delilah is just fine. You just have a strange human." He chuckled and tears of laughter ran down his face. Wyatt was somehow less irritating then Delilah.
" I just don't know what to do with her. I'm trying to get her on the right path but she won't budge. She needs to feel pain to move one,but she isn't even numb. She doesn't cry, she doesn't laugh, she doesn't even wander." The emotions that I had, ran through me like cold blood. It tickled my neck and stung my skin from the inside. It was nothing new for guardians. Wyatt looked interested, especially since this effected his human.
" I don't know what to say but Dylan needs a love by the end of the year. If Delilah isn't ready than I'll have to sign for a new soulmate." His said it as if it meant nothing. Changing a soulmate means a lot of things and for some it means they get no one. What Wyatt was implying was that if Delilah and Dylan couldn't meet, than Delilah would never have Dylan.
"Wyatt you can't do this! There only in the fourteenth year, Dylan can wait!"
"That's not his life path Mareesh, with the decisions he's making and his actions. This is what should happen. If not then I lose my job as a guardian and I'm stuck with dump truck guy." He pointed at the janitor who looked sad, picking up trash in the corner. "Besides Mar, you know why you took Delilah and now you have to guide her. Do your job, be a guardian not a supervisor." He was right I need to actually make Delilah work so that she could get on track.
I rushed to my station and Wyatt walked back to his. I checked the timeline for Delilah, next on the list was to go to the shop and buy a classical book. This was easy, I thought. I tapped the keyboard rapidly and luckily Delilah was on here phone. It was an app where primarily there are pictures and I used them to tell signs. There were ads about books and articles clearly telling her she should by one. Yet, she continued to lay on her bed doing nothing. I rested my head upon my arm and tears rolled down as I felt defeated. I didn't cry for myself, I cried for Delilah. She was wasting her life away and I was watching her.
I remembered the reason Delilah was picked for me. I remembered seeing her eyes before she even entered Earth and seeing only potential. Yes, even I had fallen for the dumbstruck beauty that beheld her. I wanted so much for her since that day. When I saw her timeline and the wonderful life the one in charge had for her, I was amazed. "She is going to be great" I told myself, now it's "if she would only do something, anything." I lifted my head up and wiped my face flooded with tears on my rough Jacket. My eyes were blurry but I could clearly see Ashley coming toward me. Ashley won guardian of the day, year, and month everytime.
She had it easy, her human was Parishna. Delilah's mom was very attached to the spiritual world and she has been since she was thirteen. Everything Ashley signals her she understands and she makes the most wise decisions. Parishna was one of the more successful humans and fulfills her paths. However, Parishna has a lot on her timeline and supposedly doesn't die till she's 159. Ashley tackles the job of being her guardian and she has multiple other humans to guide.
"What's wrong baby?" Her deep southern rich voice calmed me, it was like a quiet river in loud woods.
"My human doesn't respond to me at all and I have deadlines. Plus, it hurts to see her not be successful and truly happy." I looked at Ashley and she had stern eyes.
"Well how do you know she's not happy and that she doesn't feel successful." I thought for a moment and found myself embarrassed. Ashley had the energy that could and would shut out all stupidity from the brain of even an angel.
"She has so much for her and so much for her to do" I was cut off mid sentence. Ashley bit her bottom lip, waved her finger and shook her head.
"She doesn't know that, she knows none of that. To that girls best knowledge, she is doing the best she can!" Her voice rose and I had realized how quiet the room was. She looked off into another direction and paused for a moment. When she turned her head and her eyes caught mine she spoke quietly."In order to get a human on board you have to understand them. Make them believe, make them have faith, and so them what they are capable off. Let me tell you this. If you've never seen the greatness you can achieve and never been told of it. Would you do anything at all? You'd probably sit on your behind and eat chips because no one told you or showed you how great you are and what you can become."
Ashley shifted her place as she was leaning on the office divider. She pointed to herself and looked into the distance. "It's up to us guardians to do that. To give them a taste of possibility. To watch over and guide." She looked directly at me with piercing eyes. "Get inside your humans mind, show them what there capable of." She stood straight and walked away, leaving no sound and not looking back. I thought of how remarkable Ashley is and how I had felt the same about Delilah. Now, I have to figure out how to show her what she can do.
At that moment, Delilah was dreaming. I had to pay in order to interfere because the one above has control of dreams. As soon as I has cracked the code and payed, the alarm went off. It was loud and boastful. The big screen turned white and my name was called.
"Mareesh, daughter of Asher. Report to the room up above."

It's monotone voice made my heart sink. I was in trouble, and this wasn't my first time.