chapter 1:

Hi. I'm Thana and this is my story. I go to school like any NORMAL sixteen year old, but I'm not normal. The thing is.....whenever I touch someone for more than five seconds exactly.....they die. And not like in the movies where they just drop dead, when I touch them......they suffocate slowly on nothing. I've only touched a person once and that was when I found out what would happen. I was only eleven at the time so I didn't know what was going on, but I knew better than to try to see what would happen again on a person.

The reason I know five seconds is because I tried with a goldfish and it only took five seconds for me to.....kill him. Ever since then I've disconnected myself from society, from my friends, even from my family. Today's my seventeenth birthday. Since I've distanced myself from everyone, I don't celebrate it. So today was just another day. Sadly, as it turns out, it really isn't.

As I sit at my lunch table, a boy sits down next to me. I try to ignore him since most of the time when people sit next to me it's because there's no other spots. I thought that was the reason, so I payed him no attention.

"Excuse me?" he says.

I still went on ignoring him because I thought there was no way he was talking to me.

"Are you Thana." he asks.

That's when I knew something was off. No one ever talks to me. No one wants anything to do with me because I'm the "freak".

"Hello. I don't mean to bother you or anything, but are you Thana?"

I don't know if I should answer. This is so weird and confusing for me. I don't know what to do. Should I answer? Should I stay silent? I finally decide to look at him and answer. Maybe if I do he'll leave me alone. When I look up from my tray of barely eaten food, I'm in utter shock. How could someone this handsome, with shaggy, black hair that just slightly covers his eyes, be talking to me?

His mysterious eyes that at first glance looked brown but are now a dark blue stare stright back at me. Like a dark ocean pulling me in. Finally, his muscles! They're just the right amount of muscle, but not over-done like those ugly guys on TV that don't need that much muscle. How could he be talking to me!? When I finally get the courage to answer him, it gets stuck in my throat, so I just nod my head yes.

"Good. Hi. I'm Alex. I'm new here."

"Ho....how do you know me then?"

"I heard people talking about some person named Thana and I just thought it was you." he says while shrugging.

"Oh, okay." I say, looking back down at my tray. I can't fall for a guy. There's no point if I can't touch them, hug them, or kiss them...

"Did I do something wrong?"

Looking up so quickly my head spins I say, "No! I'm just really tired today, that's all. You didn't do anything wrong, I promise."

"Good. I didn't want to upset you. Especially since I just met you." he says, smiling.

"You really shouldn't be sitting with me. It will just ruin your reputation, not help it." I say, looking back down at my tray. "I'm the freak at this school, the outcast, the crazy girl. I will destroy your high school reputation..."

"You think I don't already know that?" he asks, smirking.