Chapter Ten

I had been enjoying my shift quite a lot, to my surprise. I had somehow momentarily convinced myself the whole Charlie fiasco was just water under the bridge. I could finally push away all these confusing feelings and move on with me life. Sadly these thoughts lasted a whopping 2 minutes, then it was back to staring at Charlie's jet black locks from behind the safety of my cash register. I Prayed for him to look back and glance at me, or to signal any sort of recognition that I was even here. I mean, I swear I don't like him... but part of me wanted to explore this newfound excitement. Even if it was all horrifyingly awful. Sort of like a rollercoaster, I guess.

Stop Ace!! Get back on track, Charlie's not important.

-

"Hey Ace! Wait up!", I momentarily looked back in shock to see Charlie running towards me while I walked out the back door at the end of our shift. I picked up my pace and pretended I didn't hear him. Geez the one thing I have wanted to happen all week is finally happening and all of a sudden I want nothing to do with it. Forget about everything I said! I take it all back. Let me state this for the record, though. I swear this will be the final time I say it!

I ACE LOUGHTY, AM NOT GAY FOR CHARLIE SIMMONS OR FOR ANY GUY! NO MATTER HOW WEIRD HE MAKES ME FEEL I KNOW IT'S JUST BECAUSE I'M A LONELY ASSHOLE!

I rolled my eyes at my own thoughts. How could I be this naive? How could I let myself fall into Charlie's trap? He's totally trying to get dirt on me to make my life a living hell. But why? What did I do?

WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO DAMN CONFUS-

Charlie's hands on my shoulders pulled me from my cloud. He spun me around to look at him. Though I couldn't meet his eyes.

"Listen, okay? Don't talk just listen.", he said.

"No! You don't just kiss me and then ignore me for four days! You don't get to try and make me gay! You're a f*cki-", I was interrupted by Charlie's hand over my mouth. I was getting angry now. The past week has been burning a fire in my soul and it was one I couldn't get rid of that easily.

"Hey hey hey hey! Calm down, it's okay. I get it, I'm confused too but the truth is Ace... I-I... forget it. Do you maybe wanna go chill in the park down the street for a bit? It's cool if you don't, I just thought we could talk since Ive been such a douche"

Why was he being this nice? He shouldn't get to be this nice! Ugh, as much as I wanted to leave his ass right there in the cold moonlit parking lot, a part of me wanted to go to that park and become better friends. Maybe to help him, or maybe so he wouldn't kick my ass. I can't figure out which one is the reason to why I start to follow him.

-

Belleview Park is only a 5 minute walk from the local store. When we get there it's completely empty, not even any stoners sitting around on the benches which is odd for 10pm on a Friday night. Charlie leads us over to the swings and I join him. It's awkward for a few minutes, we're both sort of silent.

"Hey look, a squirrel!", I point my finger over at the little figure scurrying up a tree.

"Aww, poor little guy must be freezing in this weather", Charlie frowned as I laughed at his remark.

"You're joking, right?"

"No, why would I joke about that? It's like, 6 degrees, that's pretty cold for such a small animal."