The Door (Finished)

Hi guys! This is my second book! I really, REALLY hope you guys like it because I worked, like, super hard on it! Okay enjoy now! :) xx

Chapter 1. A New Home:

           “I can’t believe your making me move there! I don’t even know them!” I whined. Since I had turned fourteen, my parents decided that I had too much of an “attitude.” They were now shipping me off to who-knows-where, also known as my aunt Mallory’s house. I’d never met her before and I was furious. I’d of course talked to her on the phone once, when I found out I was moving there. The small town had such bad reception our conversation got cut off. Now, I would be living in Pine Hill, Minnesota. And I was not the least bit happy about it. I was used to the south! I was going to miss my hometown of Biloxi, Mississippi. I didn’t know a thing about the north except that they beat us in the Civil War. Of course I know small stuff too, but that really the only big thing I know. I’m Lauretta May Hill. But people call my Laura!

           “Laura, you know your aunt. You’ve talked to her on the phone! You’ve seen pictures! I grew up with her and we were very close! You look a lot like her!” My mother had twisted around in her seat to explain to me.

           “I talked to her once. I’ve seen lots of pictures but that doesn’t mean I’ve met her.I don’t care if you were close or not.” I paused and then muttered under my breath “I look like her.” My mom sighed. I did look like both my mother and my aunt, judging from the pictures, but my aunt seemed to be the… oh, what do you call it… completely insane type! We all had the blue-green eyes, and the golden hair that was kinky with curls. I usually had mine in a bun piled on my head. It got heavy sometimes though, since I had such long hair. It goes right to the middle of my back. It’s even longer when I straighten it! My mom’s is the same but in the pictures of my aunt, hers is always chopped short so she looks like she has an Afro. She always wears way too much make-up, and she always wears much-too-colorful exercise clothes. She’s on the chubby side, so I’m guessing she uses her clothes for comfort instead of actual exercise. That may be a mean thing to say, but it’s true! I do have to admit she does look awful nice. She has a daughter of her own named Leah, that’s three year younger than me. Leah’s dad left them when she was born, so she has her mother’s last name. Apparently Leah has a friend living with them because her parents moved to South Carolina and she didn’t want to go. I’ve been to South Carolina before. It was pretty nice. Leah’s friend’s name is Brooke.

           We were almost to the airport now, and I was making myself bored on purpose to make sure it took as long as it could to get there. I looked out my window at the pretty magnolia trees. Some even had the Spanish moss draped over their limbs.

           No, too entertaining. Stop looking. I told myself, but I couldn’t look away. It would be the last time I saw my sweet magnolias or Spanish moss in a long time, and I would miss them dearly. I rolled down my window to smell the blossoms and the inviting warmth rolled in. I breathed in the salty air of the gulf coast.

           “You have reached your destination.” The robotic voice of the GPS said blankly. I sighed and put my nose in the air. I refused to look into my mother or father’s eyes when we slid out of the tall rusty pick-up truck. It was the ugliest thing ever but I loved it. It was an old blue truck but the paint was chipped and it was rusting badly. I now decided to look up. I put my big sad eyes on and forced tears to well up in my eyes.

           “Okay! Mom! Dad! I’ll be the sweetest little angel ever! I’ll keep my grades up! I’ll stay out of trouble! Please, just don’t make me leave Mississippi! I love it here! It’s going to be cold in Minnesota! Don’t make me go! Can’t you just send me to some summer camp in Mississippi! It’s not to late to sign me up! Here! You can use my phone!” I gushed and whipped out my phone, handing it to my mother. My mother looked irritated with me. My father only looked away. “Momma? Daddy?” I said sadly.