Oblivious Hearts

Damien stood up carrying his bass guitar. He smiled down at me, his light brown hair glinting golden in the sunlight. His eyes shined brighter than the sun behind him. People around were conversing but I could barely hear them over the voice that's screaming inside of me. My heart was pounding rapidly as I was carefully watching his face. "So far, I had never seen a guy as good looking as him." I thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For S,

Though you have honestly only disappointed me most of the time, I want to thank you for teaching me how to become stronger. I want to thank you for loving me despite my flaws. I wish you all the best things in life. And when you finally become who you have been dreaming to be, always keep in mind how I taught you how to love and how to become a better person. You have inspired me to write this story. Hope it's nice where you are, i'll be seeing you. I love you.

-A.

CHAPTER 1

September 08, 2010

It was a chill night, utter darkness and apathy around the house. My sister Cassidy was sitting beside me in the living room. "Would you fancy grabbing a bite to eat?" I stood up in front of her. She nodded in her sweats and hobo look holding a bag of Cheetos. A few minutes later, we had finally gone out of our Sweeney Todd's barber shop-looking-bungalow. We rambled from 7 Eleven to Ronald's. Ahh, good ol' McDonald's actually never gets old! It was 11:45 p.m., no wonder McDonald's had an atmosphere of a zombie apocalypse. It was us and the employees.

"Oh my Gooood, Epperly! He's about your age!" Cassidy shrieked with excitement.

"Would you stop screaming? I'm right beside you. Who is?"

"This guy on the magazine that I bought at 7 Eleven."

"Damien... blah blah blah... age 15, loves listening to The Bea-- I must admit i'm a bit turned on by the fact that he likes The Beatles."

"That's it? Just because of The Beatles?" Cassidy rolled her eyes.

I shrugged, not wanting to seem too interested in Damien. That was embarrassing to Cassidy. "He does have a sweet smile and such beautiful eyes, though." I whispered. "Someday, I swear i'm going to meet this guy."

September 09, 2010

The next morning, I made my way to History in a daze. The class hasn't started yet. I sat and did my best to abstain having conversations with others. I found myself eventually staring through the window pane, pondering. I noticed how I haven't gotten much sleep lately from the reflection of the window glass. It was as if I hiked my way to school. The girls sitting before me have been going on and on about a boy. I couldn't help but overhear the name Damien so I performed an inconspicuous act of scooting a little closer to their table. Finally, I just went for it and asked. "So, what are we talking about?" Mary, one of the girls, turned to me and whispered, "Don't tell anyone, just someone on the magazine who gave me my first kiss." She blushed. "It's well, uhm, Damien." Mary showed me his picture on the magazine.That Damien? My future Damien?

My eyes went wide open. "He's... your..." I paused, feeling that my voice was a little rough, "He's your boyfriend?" I cleared my throat silently. "Ex. We dated over the summer." Mary sighed. "But anyway, we still hang out at my place since we're practically neighbors. He's actually in a band with his 4 friends. Do you maybe wanna come over sometime and meet them?" YES. YES. A MILLION TIMES YES!!!

The room started spinning and a million thoughts and scenarios filled my mind. I'd imagined myself dancing in the green meadows with "The Sound of Music" playing in the background. I could've sworn I heard myself screaming the whole time Mary was speaking. I just... I couldn't believe this. I'M CRYING INSIDE. I'M JUMPING. I'M ABOUT TO EXPLODE AND CLEARLY I NEED TO BE SEDATED--

"Yes." I calmly responded to her. Smiling.