Birthday

One

(A/N: I know that some of the things I have happen in the story aren't going to be historically correct to the time period in which the story takes place. I apologize if it may bother you. Regardless, I hope you enjoy. Also the picture on the side what I invisioned Melody to look like but tanner.)

I sit quietly in the garden as Khorvire lays by my side. Trees of all different kinds tower over us. Every time I make one grow, it is of a different type. Having a multitude of trees around makes Khorvire feel more at ease. They allow him to hide and stalk around each time one of my parents comes to visit. Not like that happens often. 

Ever since my brother, Henry, died, their visits have been scarce. He was the heir to the thrown, after all. To make things worse, he died on my eleventh birthday. An evil omen is what they called it. They called me a witch and said Khorvire was my familiar to prove it. They've calmed down since then, yet they are still weary of me. 

"Milady! Oh, where has that child wondered off to?" The midwife calls from the shed. She has been the one to take care of me for all these years. "Milady!" She shouts. Khorvire whines unhappily, holding his ears down with his paws. 

I run my fingers through his pitch black fur, releasing some of the tangles. "Coming Priscilla!" I call back. Khorvire places his head on my thigh, looking up at me with his yellow almond shaped eyes. "It shant take long. I'll return shortly." With a slight aching in my legs from sitting so long, I stand. Khorvire stays laying and watches me go.

They built a tall brick wall around the entire garden to conceal me from the outside world. All I have to do I make the trees grow tall enough and I can climb up them to see the vast land. It isn't enough, though. I want to see what else is out there.

The sun lowers in the sky, creating beautiful shadows on the grass from the trees. My bare feet glide easily through the soft grass with each step I take. The light breeze makes my hair and dress flow. 

At the treeline, I see Priscilla standing by my shed. She is holding a rather large basket in her fragile hands. Her blonde hair is tied into a bun on the back of her head, concealed by a piece of cloth. She is a gangly woman in her forties who has taken care of me all these years. I love her dearly and I know she thinks of me as her own. 

As soon as she spots me, a smile spreads across her face. "Good evening, Milady." She greets as I approach her. 

"It is. Don't you think?" I say, gazing up at the white fluffy clouds in the sky. 

Priscilla chuckles softy. "My child. It's almost as lovely as you." Her kind words bring a sad smile to my face. "Come now. I've brought you dinner."

"Have you brought Khorvire anything to eat?" I ask as she leads me into the shed. As the years went by, a few more pieces of furniture had been added. I sat down on a beautifully carved chair while Priscilla busied herself with spreading out the food on the large table in front of me. We eat our meals together everyday. 

"Aye. I've wrapped it in a cloth. After you've fed him, be sure to clean your hands. Just leave the cloth folded on the table for me to pick up later." I nod my head and thank her. "You still keep that mangy mutt around? The King and Queen told you to get rid of it." She scolds. 

I cross my arms in front of my chest. "He is not mangy. I groom him twice a day. Besides, I don't care for their rules. Khorvire is my only friend besides you. Without him I'd go mad." 

Priscilla sighs. "They think you are mad, Milady. Having that mutt around doesn't help your cause."

She finishes setting the table and takes a seat across from me. A lovely array of fruits and vegetables are spread before me. Eating meat is positively out of the question. "Priscilla, why is it that you are not afraid of me? They believe Khorvire is my familiar, so that must mean I'm a witch. Are you not afraid that I could rein Hell on you?" I ask curiously.