Angel/VD/Originals: New Friends and Old Enemies

Summary: Set in Angel after the S5 finale, "Not Fade Away." It's a few years after the Circle of the Black Thorn was defeated, and they lost a few people. Spike and the others have moved on. A year after the finale, Darla comes back. She and Angel get back together. What if Kat suddenly found herself in LA? What if Cordy had a vision of someone else from Kat's world?

A/N: Cordy's still alive.

It was a nebulous night in LA, as Angel patrolled, on the lookout for anyone in danger, as usual. It was a nightly routine for him. He was the protector of the city, doing as he had ever since he'd fallen for Buffy a few years ago. He and Buffy weren't together anymore and they weren't in the same town, either. They'd grown apart, but if she'd called him and told him that she needed his help, he'd be there for her, no matter what.

He stood on a rooftop, overlooking the city. It was quiet tonight, but he knew silence didn't always mean that there wasn't any danger. Sometimes danger lurked in the shadows.

As he looked at the streets below, he sensed a presence; her presence, behind him. He'd know her anywhere, since she'd turned him.

She went to stand next to him.

"Protecting the humans, my Angel? There's no danger tonight. You and I should go home. You should take up a new hobby. You can't save everyone."

"What are you doing here, Darla?" he asked, looking at her.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm here to keep you company," she replied.

"I don't need any company. Go home and wait for me there."

"Why would I do that?" she countered.

He realized that she wasn't going anywhere, so he let her stay.

"Just stay out of my way."

Suddenly, a very familiar smell came to him.

Katherine, human, had just escaped a prison world and Kai, only to end up in LA, injured and get a run in with a vampire. He'd pulled her into an alley.

He vamped out.

Even though she knew what his intention were, having been a vampire herself, she wasn't afraid. Instead, she pushed him away from her, just as she saw a guy and girl enter the alley. She realized they were vampires too, but they weren't here to harm her. She was a good judge of character, when it came to vampires.

She looked around, but didn't see any pointy objects to use as a stake. She then looked at the vampire whom was getting to his feet.

"Someone should teach you lesson. Don't attack an injured girl; especially, me. I may be human now, but I used to be a vampire. I was never like you, though. I was discrete, even though I did some bad things I'm not proud of. The only reason I'm human is because my doppelganger shoved the cure for vampirism down my throat. I'm Katherine Pierce, though. I always manage to survive, somehow." She looked at the vampire in black. "Got a stake?"

He took it out to give to her, realizing what she was going to do. Then, he watched, as she staked the vampire and picked up the stake.

After staking the vampire, she gave the stake back to him. She assumed these were different kinds of vampires, since the staked vampire had evaporated, instead of turning into a corpse. She also noticed no Daylight rings, indicating that they were forever stuck in the dark.