Chapter 1

I wake up to the smells of fresh earth and vegetables. I slide out of my scratchy, yet comfortable bed of straw. I'm stiff and sore from yesterday's hike. I slip into my worn boots running my fingers over the cracked leather. I grab my knapsack and a few vegetables and walk into the fresh morning air. The trees swaying in the slight breeze are etchings across the sky. The birds are calling to each other and a rooster is crowing. The street is almost vacant besides the few early risers heading to the market like ants scurrying across the dirt floor. I can feel the breeze on my face as hike my way to my tent in the market. My tent is larger than the others with its black flag flapping in the breeze . I can taste the smoke in the air from last night's bonfire. Poles are clanging as the early risers set up their tents for the busy market day to come. I step into my tent and get to work.

I set down my knapsack near the fire pit and grab some wood to start the fire. Smoke starts traveling up through the hole in the top of my tent signaling I'm open for the day. I breath in the familiar smell as I go through the projects I have to finnish. I pick up the pot the butcher had asked me to mend and examine the damage. There's a huge, gaping  hole in the bottom. How in the world did he manage to do that. I get up, grab some scrap metal and my forging hammer and go back to the roaring fire. I go to sit down when the flap of my tent opens revealing a tall 16 year old with brown, buzzed hair and eyes warm and welcoming. He's wearing his worn, leather work boots and  midnight black jumpsuit covered in dirt just like brown paint splattered on a black canvas. He walks over to me in familiar long strides and perches himself on a log next to the fire.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I joke.

"They already have enough guards down by the Edge so they sent me up here to patrol the market to stop any fights that break out or whatever." He explains smirking and looking into the fire the glow making his eyes even warmer.

"In other words" I clarify, "you get the day off."

"Well, you could say that." he says his eyes moving from the fire to look at me.

"What?"

"Come with me. I think you want to see this." he says and I know something is wrong.

*********************

Hey!!! Sorry for deleting this but I just had to rewrite it. Tell me What you think!!!! plz comment, vote and/or follow!!! =^.^=