Safe in his arms (Prologue - A chance worth taking)

Scotland, 1806

Gavin knew the Fae prince had entered the room before he even turned around. The man had long golden hair that fell to the middle of his back with blue eyes that made any of Gavin's maids fawn over him the second they laid eyes on him. His clothing was a dark green and he had a small golden crown that wrapped itself once around his head, passing over his forehead. Gavin turned to find him standing by the fireplace.

"Good news?" he asked but dreaded the answer.

"Aye," the prince said with a small smile. "We have found someone who can end this war. But there is a bit of bad news." Gavin stiffened. "They are not exactly here. They live across the sea...and ahead of where you stand now."

"Ahead?" Gavin echoed. "What exactly does that mean?"

"They live ahead of your time, in the future," Kale, the prince, explained. "I'm sorry, my friend, but you must go get them if you wish to end this nonsense. It will not be a dangerous trip and I have something to help you." He held up a golden medallion with a large emerald in the center. "This will take you to the exact date you need to go and will also help you locate the person you need. If you are wearing this when you lay a hand on them, both of you will instantly be taken back to this room."

"Excellent," Gavin said. "Thank you, my friend." Kale nodded and handed him the medallion.

"Just be careful, the queen would never forgive me if I lost a mortal. Especially one as favored as you."

Gavin nodded, nearly smiling at the notion that the Queen of the Fae favored someone like him.

"I'll be back in less than a day," he assured the prince. "This wee adventure willna take but a bit of effort. I'll find the lad, bring him back and all will be well."

Before the prince could say anymore he slipped the medallion around his neck and felt the room shift beneath his feet. The air felt too thin to breath and he felt as if some invisible force was crushing his body. Then, as swiftly as it had come, the pain was gone and he felt nothing more.

Kale watched the laird disappear when a confused expression crossed his face.

"When did I ever say the person was a man?" he pondered aloud. A sly smile curved his lips as he stood. Gavin would know soon enough and then Kale would face his wrath. But, he thought as he shifted to his own realm, that was twenty-four hours away.