Hood Roots (The move) part 1

The story takes place in the Robert Taylor housing projects in 1976. It is a bright sunny day and Debbie is moving out of her mother Juanita's house with her two children 3-year-old Lamont and 4-year old Charise.
Mama, we are leaving. Wait, you can't leave before I get my sugar from my babies. Grandma comes running from the backroom to perform her usual biting of the cheeks. She had this thing about biting our jaws every time we left her for any given time.
Debbie, you have always been the strong one and I hope I've given you what you need to be a success. The rest is up to you now. Your 24-year-old with 2 kids so I'm not going to tell you it's going to be easy. You know I'm not one to feed you bullshit. I've always told you how it is.
Grandma looks down at me and gives me a soft kiss on the lips and then my sister as my mother walks out the door with two trash bags in hand.
We walk down the gallery towards the elevator, taking one last look at the view from the 12th floor.
Grandma stood outside the front door and waiting for us to get on the elevator. The elevator doors opened making a creepy creaking sound as they always have.
Bye, grandma, I yelled as I stepped onto the dark elevator. Bye baby! Call me when you get there Debbie. Ok, mom!
My mom walked into the elevator with my sister Charise and the doors close.
The elevator went pitch black. The light frequently was knocked out on the elevator by people that wanted to rob you.
The doors would close and someone would empty your pockets either by pickpocketing you or the hard way. What is the hard way? I'm glad you asked. They would hit you over the head with something hard.
Every time the door opened on the way down you just hoped that you were not on today's hit list. Riding down from the 12th floor was like walking the gauntlet.
Lucky for us my grandmother was a respected member of the building.
This protected us from those that lived in the building but didn't do much when thugs from other buildings stalked the elevators.
We got to the 5th floor and the doors opened. A guy got on with his head down and I can tell my mom was nervous because she subtly pushed me and my sister behind her as the doors closed.
Next thing you know I can hear my mom struggling. Let go of the bag bitch and I won't hurt ya kids. I squeezed from behind my mother and showed that asshole my kung-fu Sunday moves.
I couldn't see a thing but I managed to line myself up with his eggs and did my best impersonation of the but cracker.
The elevator went quiet. The doors opened and there I was in my Bruce Lee pose and the bad man on the pissy elevator floor holding his crotch.
Lamont, what did you do? My mother grabbed me and my sister and scurried out of the elevator.
My mother didn't slow down till we got to her friend Mr. Jerry's car. We got in the car. What's wrong Debbie Mr? Jerry noticed that my mom was upset. Someone tried to mug me on the elevator. Oh my God, are you ok? Yeah, Lamont hit him in the balls. Mr. Jerry laughed. That was a brave move, young man. This will be the little man in your new house.
Let's get outta here my mom said. We have a lot to do. She looks into the back seat at me and my sister. Are y'all ready for a new place, a new life?
Yeah!!!
I didn't know what the future had planned for us but at least it didn't involve any more dark elevators.
The ride to our new home was an adventure in itself as I watched the many high rise buildings phase into views of downtown Chicago. Mom look at the tall building. That's the Sears Tower. They just built it not too long ago.
I watched that building until my views turned into what will be my new home.
It was a series of row houses with 3 large high rises across the street.
Aww man, I thought the dark elevators were over. No Nugget we are moving into the row houses. Nugget is what my mother called me.
Maybe because I was small, skinny with a gold nugget for a head.
We pulled up to the curb and got out of the car. We grabbed our items and started the walk towards the house. As we walked, all eyes were on us. I gazed back at the many faces that would soon be my neighbors and future classmates.
We walked up to the screen door which was bright orange. My mother opened it and put the key in the door.
I was so excited walking inside for the first time. Go look around. There is an upstairs and everything. I ran up the stare and there were 2 rooms and a bathroom all in close proximity to each other.
There was no furniture in the house but it definitely felt like home. My mother came upstairs. So, do you like it? Yes, I love it, mom. What about you Charise? Yeah, I like it she replied with a big smile. Where are we going to sleep? My mom reached into the plastic bag she brought from grandma's house and pulled out a huge blanket. You two can sleep here she replied. I will get y'all a bed this weekend.
After setting up where we were going to sleep, my mom got the cleaning supplies and began to clean up the house. The sun started to set and darkness filled the house. I and my sister climbed into bed. I could see a glowing light coming up the stairs. It was my mom bringing a candle to our room.
Don't touch this candle. This is just so y'all can see. The electricity will be on tomorrow. Ok, mom, we replied. Good night my mom said with a smile that cut through the dark. Good night mom, we replied.