16 (Pt. Two)

• Dedicated to You Silent Readers

Disclaimer: This is part of an original work of fiction. It's mine. Don't steal it. Thanks. Enjoy.

~~~
A long-standing tradition between my parents and I is to wait up until midnight before important days- Christmas, New Year's, birthdays, et cetera, et cetera. So it's really no surprise that when I get home from Emily's house with bits of leaves and grass in my hair at half past eleven, my parents are still awake and watching TV.

While I boil some water for peppermint tea- my favorite right now- dad channel surfs and lands on an old rerun of Wheel of Fortune. He loves the show, though neither my mother nor I care for it at all. But we let him watch it, and we sit with him, keeping ourselves occupied in our own ways: my mother, with her May edition of Better Homes and Gardens; and I, with a cup of tea and my thoughts.

As the credits roll, my dad's worn-out digital watch lets out a feeble beep!, marking the hour, the day, and the beginning of the month of May.

"Happy seventeenth, Auggie," says my dad, holding out a thin, badly wrapped one-by-two-and-a-half foot rectangle he's just gotten out from behind the couch.

"Aw, thanks dad."

I take it from him and feel it for a second. It's a frame of some sort. I unwrap it and gasp, both hands over my mouth as I gaze in unbelief at the gift on my lap.

"Oh, my God."

"Do you like it?" asks my dad, looking afraid that he's done something wrong.

"Dad! How could I not like it?! I love it!" I say, beaming without taking my eyes off of it. "It... It's just... It's..."

It's an original poster from Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 classic suspense/horror film "The Birds". It features a picture of Tippi Hedren, the leading lady, screaming as she is attacked by a small murder of crows. As well, a picture of Hitchcock himself stands on the left side, under a quote saying "...remember, the next scream you hear may be your own!". It's protected by a thin black frame and a sheet of glass.

It's perfect.

"Dad, it's perfect."

"Really?" he asks. "I wasn't sure if Hitchcock was your style, so..."

"He's absolutely my style, don't worry," I say, carefully placing the poster on the couch next to me and rising to hug him lightly. When I break the hug, my mother smiles sweetly up at me.

"August, dear, happy birthday."

And she hands me a flat, carefully wrapped rectangular box. It's a clothing box- the type that girls behind the counters at department stores will gladly fold and wrap a newly bought shirt or sweater into, if you ask.

I hold back a sigh, because I know she tried. She's given me clothes.

"Oh, thanks, mom."

I take the box from her and move back to my couch where I unwrap it, making sure that I tear the wrapping paper into messy bits, just because I'm sure she thought that this year, I'd be too old to still do so with glee.

When I get down to the box, I see that it's from one of the big department stores in Baton Rouge that she always mentions when she talks about how much she loved to shop as a teenager. It's just another thing that she and I don't have in common, but I give her a lopsided smile anyway.

"Ooh," I say, keeping most of the sarcasm out of my voice, "Fancy."

"Yes, I thought it might be time for you to have something really nice in your wardrobe," she responds.