Chapter 1~ The spooky mistake

Chapter 1...

October 31st, the day the veil between the two worlds was thinnest, the day I learned that nothing good ever happens in cemeteries.

My life was okay, maybe it wasn't the best but at least I enjoyed it, and was happy with it. I didn't need something like this to go and change it all. I didn't need death knocking on my door, dangerous and mocking. But that's getting ahead of myself, I'll complain more later, I'll start on our journey toward the point that would change everything.

"Raina, I have a bad feeling about this," I said as the wind howled angrily, unnaturally. All the hair on my back was standing, and my heart was fluttering madly in my rib cage, though we hadn't even reached our destination yet.

"Oh come on! You already agreed, no time to chicken out. Besides its perfectly harmless," Raina retorted, dragging me faster down the side walk that was already swarming with young trick or treaters. 

Raina, one of my best friends, had her mind set on doing a Wiccan ritual in the creepiest cemetery in what had to be the world, and I was the only friend she had managed to drag along with. She had threatened going alone, which she said would probably get her murdered, if I didn't come with her. Of course I finally went with her, isn't there a saying about not letting friends do stupid things alone?

I had met Raina on the first day of kindergarten, and we'd been practically like sisters ever since. Our families were close to each other too, regularly hanging out and talking with each other. Last year our parents even threw a joint sweet sixteen party for us. 

That didn't mean we didn't have our fights. We did, and they were usually catastrophic, but it meant we'd always come crawling back to each other with in days because we missed one another.

Raina was deeply interested in the occult, white magic, and the paranormal. She was proud to call herself a real witch, though I knew she still hasn't told her parents. I thought she looked just like a witch, and by that I don't mean ugly, but the contrary. She was very pretty, with a small nose, long midnight black hair, and almost pixie like features. She looked, well, magical.

I on the other hand did not. My mom said I had always been big boned, not meaning I was fat or chubby, just that I had a big frame. I was tall, 5"9, with golden hair, and plain brown eyes. I had a square face, which I loathed because of the small double chin it came with, and a medium sized nose that a few freckles covered. 

A eerie dusk was slowly gathering, casting a spooky feeling. The rows of houses soon thinned, along with the people, as we followed the path that led into the forest. 

I almost ran away, almost. It was just to creepy, the towering giants, the wispy fog that suddenly appeared, the owls hooting near bye. Rain lit a candle in the lantern she had been carrying.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" I asked nervously.

"Of course, don't be silly. I've been here a million times, It's just up a head." 

I followed her along the winding path, which quickly narrowed until it was as faint as an animal pah. Too soon we came to a ancient looking stone gate. With out even hesitating Raina pushed it opened and kept walking. 

Inside the fenced area were rows and rows of tall tomb stones, each spookier than the next. We were alone, every one else was smart enough to stay far away from this place. Imagine the scariest grave yard you've ever seen...This was ten times worse. 

Somewhere close by a large branch broke, the sound echoing through the darkening night.

"Raina...Did you hear that?"

"Sh! It wasn't anything, okay? Follow me, my favorite spot is in the exact middle, there's a cool little stone circle there," She replied confidently, not fazed at all. 

It wasn't really a circle of stones, just a huge stone tablet in shape of a circle with smaller circles delicately painted on top. Raina scrambled onto the raised plat form and quickly got to work setting up.

She placed and light a dozen candles all around the edges, spread a crimson cloth out, and took a few large vials of what looked like to be herbs out along with a thickly bound book.

Fidgeting awkwardly with my hands, I just stood there unsure of where to go. 

Adjusting a few more details, and lighting some incense that made my nose scrunch up in disgust, she let out a breath of contentment. Turning to me she invited me up."You can come up if you like."

I obliged reluctantly, knowing something terrible was going to come of this. Careful not to light my costume of a Renaissance princess on fire, I clambered on to join her. Handing me a pretty mask made out jewels, Raina proceeded to sit cross legged in front of a bigger candle and sink into a silence that lasted several minutes. 

I took several deep breaths to calm my self. I prayed Raina knew what she was doing, and that she'd do it quickly. The pure evil feeling that soaked my bones never left, just continued to grow as each second passed. Every now and then, to often for my liking, a twig would snap nearby or a faint whisper drifted to my ears, making me scouch closer to my friend. Darkness had fallen thick around us, only the glow from the candles illuminating and protecting us from the night. 

"On this day, when the veil between the two world is shortest I wish to call upon a spirit," Her voice sung out. WHAT? What did she just say? No. No. And no. I was taking no part in spirit calling.

Before I could screech myself hoarse at Raina's stupidity she continued to chant. 

"I call the spirits of North, South, East, and West. Hear me. Hear my call. My humble servants call. Beseech me. I wish to gain ancient knowledge, I wish to learn and see. This is my will, so mote it be." As soon as she finished saying the last word a strong gust of wind passed through the cemetery, though none of the candles even dared to flicker.

I was shocked into silence. All I could do was stare at her back, which was slowly swaying back and forth. This isn't real, it can't be real, was my own chant in my head.

A sudden chill made me move even closer to Raina's back.

"This was so fun. Yay. Are you done yet?" I asked sarcastically, gripping her shoulders tight and squinting my eyes closed. She didn't reply. She didn't move.

I poked her hard in the back. "Just answer me and I'll shut up." Still no response.

"Okay, this isn't funny at all." My heart started beating wildly again, I knew something wasn't right.

Standing on my knees I looked past her. What I saw stole my breath from my lips. That's what Raina had been starring at, why she hadn't responded.

A handsome young man stood in front of the circle, cloaked in what appeared to be liquid darkness that swirled flirtatiously around him. Tall and dangerous looking, he watched us. His  hair seemed darker then Raina's, his smile the cruelest I'd ever seen. His silver eyes lingered on me, studying me. 

The second I saw him I knew he wasn't of this world.

Greetings, my dearies. How goes you? This is a new story idea, and I know it needs some work. If you spot any mistakes may you please leave a comment with them? This has not been edited yet.