Chapter 1

Angelo:

Glaring at the damned piece of steak would not make it taste any better. He emptied the salt shaker on the rare cooked prime cut, and tossed it aside next to the empty bottle of Tabasco sauce in irritation.

That wouldn't make it taste better either.

Hell, it would remain tasteless no matter what he seasoned it with. The cook stared at him open mouthed as he ran his knife along the tender flesh and speared a forkful. He smirked, daring the greying old man to say something, before drowning it in the spicy sauce and bringing it to his mouth.

The man remained silent, but his lips pursed as he watched him chew slowly, and then swallow. He couldn't resist an evil grin when he heard the man gag and run away from the table.

Angelo shrugged and continued with his bland meal, thinking that he'd probably need another new cook soon. He had no desire to drain the man. Being a Vampire had its pros and cons, but he was not like the rest of his kind. Angelo liked the normalcy of having a home cooked meal so he had his own cook prepare him something every evening. None of them could handle the way he preferred his food, especially the half raw meat and unusual side requests that went with it.

Maybe it was time he started cooking for himself? 

Since he only required a small dose of blood monthly, which was more or less around the full moon, having humans at his home made no difference to him. Living in the city had given him the freedom and anonymity he desired, the most important part being that he could keep his King safe by sifting out information that could prove harmful to him.

He could also do for him what the rest of his Kind couldn't...Offer him protection during the day.

The fact that he never betrayed his King was only one of the reasons he was so close to the Royal pain in the butt. All that did nothing for his reputation though. He was, besides being feared, utterly despised among his kind.

It's not like he hadn't heard Vampires whisper about his unique traits before.

Instead of Vampire, they called him the Sunseeker, even though the words were never spoken directly to him.

His sleeping pattern was similar to that of a human, but he needed just an hour or two during the night. Most times he avoided it, just to steer clear of the horrible nightmares that plagued him since he turned. In which case, he could easily catch up during the day, or go without it until his body gave in...

Angelo was known for his ruthlessness in everything he did, except for when it came to killing for blood. The first time he'd done it, his victim's piercing screams rang out in his mind for months. Guilt was something he could do without. He had enough to last him a lifetime...Or so his nightmares told him.

Lifting up a baby carrot, he brought it to his nose and sniffed. He inhaled the earthy sweetness of the vegetable, could almost imagine what it would taste like on his tongue, but as usual, it was another mushy gloop that spread along his palate and slid down his throat.

Why the hell did his taste buds only behave this way with food? He had no problem when drinking blood. That was the time each drop would coat his mouth in it a bittersweet iron-like tang that made him want to throw up.

He grimaced, pushing away his plate, appetite completely gone.

At least he could enjoy the peace and quiet tonight. The last couple of days had been particularly rough on him especially with no sleep, and it had turned him into a short tempered brute. Those blasted nightmares had gotten worse, and he was running on empty. Luckily, he lived alone in his two floored penthouse suite in one of the most opulent buildings in town. His cook and housekeeper would be gone in the next five minutes, leaving him to himself.