Witch's Curse

The little town of Wickabee was a quiet town indeed. In fact, the townsfolk of this tiny town prided itself on the quaint silence of their town. Many of the families that lived there had resided there for centuries. Even students at the local high school could trace their lineage back to the original town founders. While the huge metropolises of the big cities may have been quicker to adapt and embrace change, they also housed criminals and thugs. In the townsfolk opinion, who needed that sort of rubbish anyway? The modern day invasion of internet and cell phones always reached them in time, even if it was a bit delayed.  

The town of Wickabee housed a dark secret though. If one were to stray past the church on the edge of town and beyond the cemetery, you would come across an ancient abandoned cabin with a well in the back. This was known as the Malleus Cabin. As any of the older folk of Wickabee would tell you, the Malleus Cabin was known in its heyday as the source of all evil.  

Nobody’s life could have seemed farther away from such stories than that of Oliver Frigly, who was currently spending most of third period stuffed into the dumpster outside the high school gym. As Oliver shoved the dumpster lid open and dusted off the remainder of yesterday’s meatloaf, he sighed to himself. So far he was not adjusting very well to his first year of high school. His father, who's ancestry dated all the way back to one of the founding families, said he should try harder to get along with everyone. School jock and unofficial bully Howie Baker with his gang was making that exceptionally difficult. They had shoved Oliver into the dumpster countless times this year. Oliver’s plastic glasses, large ears, and bright freckles made him an easy target for bullies like Howie. If Oliver ever had a chance to get back at them, he would take faster than they could blink. Not that skinny geeks stood a chance giant athletes like Howie. 

Once back in school, Oliver did his best to avoid the bullies. The easiest place to hide was in the library since he doubted Howie had ever set foot in there. Still, he needed to go to his locker and that is where Howie’s gang would always waited for him. Smash! Oliver was shoved from behind into his locker. His homework that he had been pulling out flew everywhere across the floor. 

“Hey, look guys,” Howie said as he pinned Oliver down, “Dumbo lost his homework!” Howie’s stooges, Mike Gralam and Chris Broward, laughed stupidly at the old taunt. “Let’s see if this geek will fit in his locker!” 

“Leave him alone!” a new voice interrupted him. The four boys spun around to find Sandra Ballard standing there. Oliver gulped nervously. Sandra had just moved into town. With her large green eyes and her shiny red hair, she was the fantasy of most teenage boys, Oliver included. Even Howie was thrown by her sudden interruption. 

“Stay out of this,” he blustered defiantly, but Sandra stood firm with her hands on her hips.  

“That’s no way to treat anyone,” she scolded, “You should be ashamed of yourself!” Howie, unsure of what else to do, continued to lash out. 

“Ooo,” he countered, “looks like you got yourself a girlfriend, Dumbo.” He chuckled at his own joke. “At least, she can stand up for you now.” 

“I can stand up for myself,” Oliver muttered sheepishly in barely a whisper. Howie still managed to hear him. 

“Oh, you can now?” Howie challenged, “Well if you’re so brave, why don’t you prove it?” He flashed his two buddies a wicked grin. “Tonight’s Halloween. Meet us by the Malleus Cabin at eleven. Bring a change of pants, scaredy cat.” 

“Oliver is not scared,” Sandra said defiantly. “He’ll show you.” Oliver felt himself go beet red as he stared determinedly at his shoe laces. Howie and his gang gave one final laugh before heading off to class. Oliver stared at the floor until they were gone. Suddenly, he felt someone touch him on the shoulder. He looked up into the stunning face of Sandra Ballard. Her beauty seemed almost magical. Oliver blinked in surprise and went even redder.