Chapter 1

I think it might be time I looked into getting myself a new best friend, because the one I’ve got now is seriously pissing me off. He’s gone off somewhere, with that clingy bimbo he calls a girlfriend, and left me in this crowd of people I mostly don’t know to mingle all by my lonely self. The only reason I even started coming to his family affairs was because as children we were inseparable. And it had made perfect since at the time that I would be the one friend he’d bring, as he is a boy and I am a girl. And now that we’re in our twenties, and into this whole dating bullshit, it only gets weird when one of us forgets the importance of basic communication skills.

            Like today for instance. I had to open my door this morning to find him standing in the hallway looking slightly flustered and avoiding eye contact. I didn’t get it until we were halfway to the parking lot and he says, “By the way, Jenna’s in the car.” Bastard.

            And it’s not that I don’t like Jenna—Okay, I’m lying, I don’t like her, but for once it’s not her fault. It’s the fault of that no good chicken-shit coward I call a best friend.

            And so here I stand, in a sea of Koreans, looking about as out of place as a bar of chocolate in a wheat field, and having everyone think I’m some kind of lonely spinster chick. Let me reiterate: I need a new best friend.

            At least the bride and groom look happy. Well, as happy as they can be considering we’re about ten minutes late. They stood off on the side of the room, side by side. Women were fussing over the bride and putting last minute touch ups on her colorful handok. People stopped by and chatted to them, taking pictures and smiling; waiting eagerly for this shindig to get started. And I am right there with them, the sooner we get this party rolling the sooner we can get to the reception and I can drown my sorrows in free booze.

            “Is he here yet?” I heard one of the exasperated relatives ask.

            “Can’t we just start without him?”

            “No,” Han said from beside his bride. “I won’t get married without my brother.”

            My heart gave a little jolt. As hard as it is for me to be honest with myself, I must admit I have been anticipating this day ever since the announcement. I hardly ever get to see him anymore. I smoothed my hands down my new dress. Maybe I should take another look in the mirror…

            “Evie Harper! Is that you?” I heard someone say from behind me.

            I turned. “Mrs. Seo. Hi.” She engulfed me in an uncomfortable hug.

            “I always tell you, ‘Evie, I’m your Auntie Min-Hei’. Auntie. I knew you when you were this tall.” She gestured down to her knees. “How have you been?”

            “Ah, good Mrs.…Auntie Min-Hei.”

            “How is your tea shop doing?”

            “We’re doing good. You should come by sometime, I could make some tea for you.”

            “You know I only drink Omajicha. If you have Omajicha I will come by.”

            “Of course we do! I got it just for you. You can even have the special ‘auntie’ discount.” Of course this is a lie. I’ve known this woman for twenty years and every time I see her we do this same tired shtick about some tea she misses from South Korea. Of course we both know she isn’t going to stop by. But a little white lie never hurt, right?