Chapter Twenty-One: Gone Girl

Despite all of his big talk about protecting me from Mickey and the pack, not even Sam dared to say a word as we drove steadily out of town, and then out of Charlottesville, and finally left Virginia altogether. In fact, not a single noise was made inside of the car at all. No music, no idle chit-chat, not even a question asked by a single one of the guys. It was starting to make me nervous, and I found myself digging my phone out of my backpack and sending a text to Sam.

Benny: so you’re talking to me now?

Luckily Sam’s phone was on vibrate, and I watched discreetly from the corner of my eye as he pulled it out of his pocket and read the message across the screen. His eyes flew to my face, but I was one step ahead of him, and sat staring pensively out of the tinted SUV window. A few minutes passed, and then my own phone vibrated with his response. 

Sam: i guess so

Benny: okay

And with Sam, that was that. We were friends again. 

Sam: so you wanna fill me in on what’s going on here? 

Benny: i wish i knew...some guys showed up at the MC with guns and needles, and Mickey claimed they were werewolf hunters out to get him

Sam: what the hell? werewolf hunters? 

Benny: ikr! my reaction exactly

        Glancing up from my phone, I caught Mickey’s head turning quickly as though he’d been staring back at me. Huh. But then seconds later, a new message popped up across the top of my screen. 

Mickey: who are you texting?

I stared at his text for a few minutes, astounded that of all things, that was what he wanted to talk to me about.

Benny: none of your business

Mickey: it’s definitely my business, you’re my girlfriend

Benny: oh really? and that makes me your property? I shot back, getting angry that Mickey had forced me to risk my life climbing out of a bathroom window, coerced me into going on the run with him, refused to explain anything, and now he was mad that I was texting somebody else?

Mickey: come on, benny, you know what i mean. is it drew?

Benny: drew??? of course not! 

Rolling my eyes, I looked up and met Mickey’s narrowed blue gaze as he shot me a suspicious glance over his shoulder. But before I could respond to his text, a new one from Sam came in. 

Sam: so if werewolf hunters are after mickey and these guys...why are you running too? you’re not a werewolf 

And reading his text, I finally realized why Mickey was so concerned about who I was texting. So I sent him another message.

Benny: Sam. i’m only texting Sam

***                                                ***                                                        ***

        I fell asleep texting both Sam and Mickey, so when I was finally shaken awake, it was with much higher spirits than when I’d first gotten into the SUV. Sam had apparently forgiven me, and as for Mickey...well I still didn’t know what to say to him after he’d told me he loved me, but things between us felt alright. I was, after all, going on the run with him out of complete and utter faith that he’d been telling me the truth and would explain everything eventually. Yep, I’m an idiot.