≾SS7≿

A/N: You guys, I'm like a month late. So please listen to Jaymes Young because his EP really got me through this chapter. Despite the fact that Wattpad kept freezing and sending me into shock episodes because I thought I lost over a thousand words. -_- Come on Wattpad, install that AUTO save, please!

Without further complaints, please enjoy.

******************************************Â Â Â

                "No."

That was my go-to, immediate reply. That one simple word became my safe haven. I felt that I had been on one wild ride for most of my time meeting July and now, it was my turn to take control of the wheel and which way it turned.

 The look written across Herenandez's wise face told me of the oncoming disappointment he would be conveying to me in just a matter of seconds. I knew just how important this moment was to him, but was I supposed to sacrifice my reasons for saying no just so he could control his nephew's life?

"No?" He turned my statement into a question, sitting up straighter in the chair across from mine. It was clear to see that he was in shock. "But I thought...I thought we made a mutual agreement. Isn't this what you've been working at? What could have possibly came up that's changed your mind?"

"Herenandez, I took some time out to think about this and it doesn't seem appropriate. Do you have any idea how many college students are working their asses off to become interns for us? And I'm just going to give July a freebie?"

"July has his bachelor's in Business Administration. It's not like I would toss you my nephew without any kind of education that could contribute to the success of Arizona Springs." Herenandez gave a tight lipped smile. "Jesus, which is why I'm trying to get him to see that we have many opportunities here for him."

I sighed under my breath, regretting that I ever agreed to consulting Hernandez on the promise that I would help him match July with the company. I should have thought about the repercussions that would follow. I knew that me saying no would set our friendship on the rocks.

My office phone beeped and I leaned over my desk to pick it up.

"Mr. Waltz is on line 2 ," Danyel spoke excitedly into the phone, "Should I forward his call or ask him to hold?"

"Hold for one moment please," I replied before hanging up. I stood up, rounding my desk and opening the door for Hernandez who was slowly pulling himself to his feet. "I'm sorry, I really am, but I don't think-"

"How about dinner?" Hernandez intercepted, "We can talk about this whole thing at dinner. My treat, buddy."

No. I did not want to discuss this at dinner. I wanted to squash this right here and now.

I exhaled with a single nod, "I'll think about it, okay?"

If it wasn't obvious before, it's obvious now who July gets his persistence from.

â£â£â£â£â£â£â£

"Daddy!" Avery nearly jumped into my arms as I walked into her classroom to pick her up from school. I took off early from work just to pick the kids up from school and let Carley have the day to herself.

"Hey hunnie, how was your day?" I lifted her up, making sure her dress stayed down. I smiled as her little mouth starting running, rehearsing everything that she did in her day from the time she woke up this morning.

"...and then Mindie told Lori that she wasn't her friend anymore." Avery pouted, her short arms hooked around my neck and her nose nearly touching mine.