Chapter 1: Freedom with a price

It was a beautiful day to be at sea. The waves were gentle and the sea breeze cool.   The atmosphere filled Elisabeth up. Finally! Elisabeth giggled. A wide smile broke out. Elisabeth had escaped that pirate island and was sailing to beautiful Havana. At least, she heard that it was. She had never been there before. However, she knew she was going to love Havana. Anywhere is better than that rotten pirate island.

It's so close to Havana. I can see land. Oh, solid ground! How i've missed you!

Elisabeth could not wait to get her feet in the sand. Her feet on solid ground. Without having to hold onto something to keep her balance. Finally, a man shouted 'Land ho!' As her smile spread wider. Elisabeth rushed to her cabin. Packing her things, stuffing it in her bag as quickly as she can. She rushed out the door almost knocking over crates. She walked out of the ship and she stood at the harbour. Looking forward she could see Havana, in all its glory. It was beautiful beyond compare.

She stood there in awe. The beautiful houses and the palm trees. It looked like a grand masterpiece. There were so many people there going about their business. Elisabeth also had to look for a place to stay before she set out for her adventure. She roamed the streets of Havana. Familiarising herself with Havana. When she turned a corner and found herself at a tavern. She had yet to find someplace to stay. However after a day of roaming streets. It easily tired her out. So she decided to have a drink before looking for a place to stay.

The tavern was like any other tavern. Lots of drunkards. With the occasional fights breaking out. Elisabeth settled down at a seat and said her order. Her drink came and she slowly drank. Beside her, she could hear two men discussing, not very discreetly, so she could hear their conversation.

'it's true!' the man with a red beard said.

'blackbeard's dead!' he continued.

Elisabeth's heartbeat accelerated. What? How could that be? She thought to herself.

'the man's old and finally out of the way' the other one said. Laughing.

Elisabeth felt her heart sink. No. No. That's not possible.

'and you know what's better?. They say the governer is giving a reward to anyone who brings his family members to him.' the bearded man said.

'blackbeard don't have any family! He probably killed them off himself!' the other replied.

'aye. That's what i thought too. But, blackbeard's has a family. A daughter.'

Elisabeth's became more wary of her surroundings. More nervous than ever. She wanted to leave but she wanted more information.

'and anyone who finds her is rewarded with gold'  the bearded man said.

'well. What does she look like?' the other inquired.

'they say she is a feast for the eyes. Brown hair and sea green eyes.'

'not forgetting. She has a skull pendant. A mark of a pirate' the bearded man explained.

Elisabeth quickly paid for her drink and left the tavern. Running to someplace secluded. She dropped her bag. Her face facing the wall. She closed her eyes and clutched onto her necklace. The pendant given to her by her father. Elisabeth could not and would not believe that Blackbeard was dead. He said he was going to retire soon and that he would spent the remainder of his life looking after her. No. It's not possible. He was strong. Elisabeth denied herself the news. He would never leave her behind. To fend of enemies by herself. Ah. But what if it's true what the man said. Blackbeard's dead. That meant that she was able to roam the seas. Free of watchful eyes. She would be free. She held onto that pendant. She made her final decision. She would leave behind her identity. Elisabeth was no more. She no longer had her father's name to scare of people. She was no longer Blackbeard's daughter.