HIM

Getting blood out of a white carpet was difficult but not impossible.

I'd managed to get the stains down to a faded brown colour when I rewarded myself with a much-needed break. The fumes from the cleaning products were making me nauseous, so I picked up the bag of trash and went outside to get some fresh air. I stood on my front veranda as I filled my lungs, which were desperate for clean air. The street smelled of electricity, showing the growing storm that was still brewing in the distance, even if it had calmed currently. It was still raining, but at least it was down to a drizzle. Beyond that strong scent of electricity, I could smell the garbage—but not from the trash in my hand. The bin was still tipped over, sending me back to the ghastly image I'd seen last night, and there were contents spilt out onto the road. The road smelled wet, which was a scent I couldn't quite explain, but all those scents weren't what caught my attention. It was something else. Something that made my gaze beeline toward the moving truck parked out the front of Mrs Marsby's house. Motor fumes.... No, that wasn't it.

My gaze continued to search, tracking the sweet, alluring scent to its source. And that's when I found it.... Found him.

I swallowed as I watched the tall man lift a box from the truck. He was shirtless, showing tanned skin, which was protruding with muscles. His hair was medium brown with a slight curl and came to his shoulders, long enough for him to tie up if he wanted to, but he chose to leave it down in its rain-damp chaos. He was walking across the lawn as he turned to glance at me. It was just a look, no longer than a heartbeat, but it made my blood run faster. As though I was possessed, I dropped my bag of trash and strode toward him.

I managed to catch him on his way back to the truck.

"Hi," I said lamely.

He was still walking to the truck and ignoring my existence as he picked up another box, then another, piling them on top of each other. The box wasn't marked, but I could see something metal inside of them which looked heavy. His muscles tensed, but he picked up the box with ease as he started to carry it back toward the house.