Prologue- The Butterfly

"Listen, this shit will send you to the moon and back, man!"
Baljeet reassured the young man in front of him. They both sat under a pale, sickly yellow light, upon the concrete floor of a derelict wooden shed. The man in front of Baljeet inspected the plastic bag held to him. He had tried it all but heroin, that was always where he drew the line.

"No fucking way man! This is too fucking far!" He started to yell, shaking his head.
Baljeet smirked. "Come on, man, you're always fuckin' talkin' 'bout, my mom this, my dad that. Always goin' on about how you wanna run away? Well this," He said, waving the little bag in front of his face like a key to some mystical land, "is the way. You'll run away all right. And no one will even be looking for you. You'll be free. Completely able to roam the vast spaces of your mind with no one to bother you. Come on."

Baljeet Tjinder had always been a man of sweet mental persuasion, free of bullshit, yet not completely true either. Enough to flick that switch in your mind and wrap you around his finger.

"Gah, fuck it!" The bag was quickly snatched from Baljeet's hand. And a needle was snatched from the floor. Convinced, the young man lit the spoon, rusty from God knows how many uses. All the hopeless souls before him, who too did hold a lighter below the faded metal, waiting for the powder to melt into a cursed liquid silver.

Within seconds, the needle was deep in the man's arm. He felt it rush through his veins, like a winning horse on the racetracks. His neck went limp as he rested against the wall. The cold, rough wall grazed his scalp. But he couldn't feel it. He couldn't feel anything.

Everything went dark, the room went dim, his eyes slowly shut and his mind went blank. He was paralyzed by the rush. And, before he went out cold, he could see Baljeet reach his wallet. He cursed at him. But Baljeet did not react. He just reached into the man's pocket, finally leaving the shed as the man's mind went dark.

12 Hours Later
"Thanks Heinz, you're a good brother. You always have been." The man said, laying on a plush, purple couch, looking around the dusty green "lair" he found himself in. Heinz was a skinny man, evidently far more occupied with science then workouts.
"Roger, you know i'm here if you need me." Heinz replied while tinkering with a machine. Heinz stumbled a bit resulting in a sharp sting striking his hand. His hand quickly became bloody, with a deep scar soon to follow. "But this is the third time you've gotten involved with that crowd! You've got to stop!"

"I will, I promise I will. I called that Addicts Anonymous place you told me about. Hell, i'm going there today!" He said.
Heinz looked back at Roger. For his hand was also bloody.

Roger swiftly grabbed Heinz's hand. Crimson red soaking them. "What are you doing?" Heinz yelled, shocked.
"We're blood brothers now. More than ever. I wanted you to know that all you've done hasn't been forgotten. Thank you Heinz. I've gotta go."

Heinz looked in shocked silence as Roger left. He looked down at his red hand, and back at the door. He smiled. Maybe after all that had happened, Rodger could still be helped.

5 hours later, Roger was killed in a shooting. Presumably by drug dealers whom he owed money to.

But that was before the cure, before you. For the butterfly's wings had only just fluttered.