Sixth Scene

GUARDHOUSE BY THE RIVER. EXT. AFTERNOON.

MARLEE is being held by the upper arm by GUARD A while JACK is trying to get past GUARD B.

MARLEE

I’m not going to do something. Dad and I just want to get home.

JACK

My wife is sick.

GUARD A

A likely story.

(beat)

Your papers are not in order, sir.

GUARD B

Yes. And you have no ID.

JACK

Everything is fine. I have permission to enter the country across the way and we’ve committed no crime here.

GUARD B

I’m not sure I believe that. You’re a thief. You took my purse.

MARLEE

Your purse is on the bench by the guardhouse.

GUARD A

We’re in charge here. The King of this land would very much be unhappy if we let two miscreants escape.

MARLEE

What have we done wrong?

CASSI enters.

CASSI

What’s going on here?

GUARD A

Some reprobates are trying to get past the well known guards of Snow.

Cassi nods.

CASSI

They aren’t criminals. And I still find the name of our country ironic. It never snows.

GUARD B

What about the coin purse.

CASSI

On the bench. These two are part of my group. They were supposed to go to the first town in Leaf to get me a tavern for my night there.

Guard A grabs for Marlee. She backs away. Cassi, enraged, pulls her cloak aside to reveal the emblem of her guild on her hip. Guard A backs away. Guard B walks over to the official desk.

GUARD B

Papers?

Cassi hands them to him.

GUARD B

You are aware that there is a fee for more than two people to cross the border?

CASSI

I am.

GUARD B

All right. They seem to be in working order. And you can vouch for the those two.

CASSI

Yes. I can.

GUARD B

You can pass, but you’ll have to wait to cross the bridge.

CASSI

I know.

GUARD B

There’s a campsite just past here.

CASSI

I know.

Cassi leads Marlee, Jack, and Bear away.