Chapter One

• Dedicated to Cora Lynn Overton

Chapter One

"We're here m'lady." Ja'ch said as he opened the carriage door. Taking a deep breath I gathered my skirts and accepted his help out of the carriage. “Here is your invitation m’lady,” he says as he pushes a paper envelope into my numb hands. “Ja’ch…” I start to turn back as I see the lighted entrance before me. “Now girl chin up!” Miranda would not appreciate it if you skip out on this party after she got you an invitation! And you wouldn’t forgive yourself later. Now go!” he said gently pushing me forward. The clatter of the carriage wheels pull dmd out of my trance, hopes plummeting I realize that I am stuck here now. Taking a deep breath I puffed out my chest and quickly marched up the stairs before I lost my nerve. A stoic faced butler answered the door and ushered me into the foyer. “invitation m’lady?” he asked in a dry voice with his eyebrow raised. “Um..yes..here…” I stammered as I handed him the envelope. After opening it his eyebrows raised as he eyed me from head to toe. I smoothed my hands down my skirt and plucked at the simple embroidery on my sleeves. maria my maid had wanted me to wear a more attention grabbing dress, and Christopher had sent a tantalizing midnight blue dress that was far to brazen to be worn in public. Instead I had opted for a simple violet dress with silver flowers and vines on the sleeves and hemline. “Wait here ma’am.” he said as he folded my invitation and walked down the hall. Tugging at my sleeves I examine my surroundings. The walls were a deep brown mahogany wood paneling and the carpet a deep maroon and so plush my slippers sank into it at least an inch. The art on the walls was in the latest style and very extravagant. yet for all the show of wealth the room gave off a very homey feeling, and I smiled as I recognized Mirnada’s touch. She would make a very fine Duchess. Glancing at the clock I realized that I had been left standing here for at least ten minutes Looking at the door my confidence wanes and I feel myself wanting to run and just hide out somewhere. Silently begging forgiveness I whirled around with every intention of fleeing. Instead my skirts wrapped around my legs binding them tight. Pitching forward I braced myself for the coming fall, it never came. Instead my hands came in contact with a hard surface encased in soft silk. I felt my face heat as I snatched my hands back only to start forward again. “Whoa there.” A deep voice said as strong arms set me back on my feet. I knew my face was red so I studiously kept it glued to the floor. “Are you okay?” The rich voice floated around me and for a moment I wanted to melt into that voice. “Hm” the cough pulled me out of my daydream, I felt myself blush even harder as I realized he had asked me a question. “Y-yes-s m’lord. T’thank-you~u!” The words came out rushed and cracked at the end as I hurriedly curtsied and started to back away. “Wai-“ he started to reach for me when he was interrupted by a flurry of brightly colored movement. “Oh Jonathan there you are! Hurry the procession has almost started.” An elderly woman in a gown of dark grey embroidered with black thread, laced her arm through his and proceeded to drag him down the hallway. At the same time the butler reappeared, “If you will come this way please.” Turning he walked down the hallway without glancing back to see if I would follow. Gathering my courage I hurried to catch up to the receding figure.

I followed my mother and nodded every now and then to show that I was paying attention, when all I could see was red curls framing a heart shaped face and small delicate hands pressed against my shirt front. “-so I think that your engagement ball will be bigger than Tommy’s and it will have fireworks and doves during the wedding..” “Wha-“ She stopped at my shocked expression and smacked me with her folded fan. “See I knew you weren’t paying attention!” She smiled playfully before turning back towards the entrance of the ballroom. “Back to business, when are you going to come and inspect the newest edition in our fleet?” I sighed as talk turned back to business, and flaming red hair and purple skirts danced in my head.