Chapter One: Horrid Shadow

At the Ignacio Street, during a cold night, I was buying a bundle of snack as I heard my favourite song playing within the store.

"This is gospel for the fallen ones locked away in permanent slumber Assembling their philosophies from pieces of broken memories Oh, this is the beat of my heart,"

Soon as I was done, I left the store and lingered in front of the establishment for a moment to relish the song. Quite a while passed before I decided to leave.

As I reached the next corner, the music from the store had faded and only the whispering wind was there. Suddenly, the silence was broken by a boy wearing a black hooded-shirt and brown pants. He was running so fast. When I saw him, he was so scared. He was trying to escape from someone. When I heard the terrible sound, I quickly hid under the bushes. He might've noticed me for he began shouting at the top of his lungs:

"Help! Please, help me! I'm begging you!"

I didn't reply. I saw a silhouette following him. The boy exhausted, suddenly stops running. He looked back and the shadow was behind him. It covered him with darkness. Next, a piercing scream flew across the street and the only words that I could make out from such a shattered cry was:

"Please! Somebody out there! Help me! I'm begging you!"

A few minutes after, the shadow and the boy were gone. Making sure they were definitely gone, I waited a few more moments. As the cold wind gently blew, I shuffled across the bushes before I emerged from it. I approached the last place where I saw the child and surprisingly, found a lone book lying on the floor--perhaps the boy accidentally dropped it. I picked up the book unknowingly and went back in his tracks. Come to think of it, I haven't had my dinner yet. I feel so hungry and tired and sleepy I want to go home fast. In that note, I might just be hallucinating.

[RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!]

That was the sound of my alarm clock. It's 6:30 in the morning, a very early time to wake up these days. As I got up and made my bed, I remebered I had a bad dream. I felt that last night was real but I cannot exactly distinguish reality over fantasy.

[Oww! It's just a dream. To make sure, I must look into my drawer.]

I pulled it open and immediately, I saw the book. I was not dreaming, last night was true. The book seemed very old for it was very dusty and slightly torn. The cover of the book was of solid gray color and had some fancy caricatures on its edges. The title was embossed on the cover. It read:

"Abscond to Canard".

I find it strange for a title. I never saw a book like this. There was no publishing place, no Author and no specific date of publishing was indicated.

I was completely fascinated with it. Understanding the title and judging its age upon its yellowed pages, I was eager to read it right there and then. But before I could even turn a page, my mom called out to me from downstairs. Her voice was frail but was loud enough for me to hear. It was time for breakfast. I would hate it if she strained herself from shouting multiple times calling for me, so I immediately put back the book in place and hurried down to the kitchen.

As I entered the dining room, I greeted both my mom and JC 'good morning' respectively.

"Don't you act innocent on me, Allen, I haven't forgotten what happened last night."

mother began. Hearing my name come out from her small mouth, I thought: 'Oh yes, I am Allen Tomas'. I sat down quietly in a chair across JC as I listened to my mother's scolding.

"You came home late and skipped dinner. What happened to you? Where have you been?" I answered,

"I just bought some yogurt and burger at the store and..."