Connections

Tatiana stretched out on her bed and tried to relax. When her wall buzzer sounded, she bounded out of bed with relief. “Come in,” she called.

Uhura stepped in and smiled warmly. “Hi, I was just going to stop by sick-bay and see how the Captain is doing. I thought you might want to come along.”

Tatiana ran her fingers through her normally tidy hair. “I don’t know if I’m up to that, Uhura.”

Uhura paused and looked directly at Tatiana, “Tatiana, I don’t want to pry, but I really think you ought to go and see him. Our Captain may be many things, but deep down inside he’s an honest man. Plus he’ll be angry when he finds out you’ve applied for a transfer.”

Uhura smiled slyly as Tatiana sighed and shook her head.”You all really look after each other, don’t you?”

Uhura laughed. “I’m not in communications for nothing.”

“Uhuran, there’s so many things I wish I could tell you, but I can’t talk about them right now. I just can’t stay aboard the Enterprise. Besides deep down inside I miss doing research on Vulcan. I guess I’m just a land-lubber at heart.”

Uhura nodded her head in sympathy. “I understand, Tatiana.”

For a moment an uncomfortable silence filled the room and then Uhura spoke,”Tatiana, you must see the Captain before you leave. You’ll never forgive yourself if you don’t.”

Tatiana took a breath,”Let’s go before I change my mind.”

Kirk sat up in bed going the ship’s logs. “Bones,” Kirk roared, “What’s this about a couple of children taking over my ship?”

McCoy scowled. “How should I know? I’m a Doctor not a log entry specialist. You shouldn’t be going over those anyway. You need to rest,” McCoy said as he snatched the log data tablet out of Kirk’s hands.

Kirk’s face resumed an innocent express. “I am resting, Bones.”

Tatiana stood with Uhura just outside of sick-bay. “Uhura, I’m terrified. I think…”

Uhura glared back at Tatiana,” You can’t turn back now.” She said firmly.

Nothing could have prepared Tatiana for Kirk’s appearance. He sat up in bed reading another log entry tablet that he had hidden from Doctor McCoy and frowned over the log entries. His hair hung about his pale, gaunt face in dull untidy clumps. Only his hazel eyes seemed alive. Sensing Tatiana’s presence he glanced up.

“Well, I’ve got something to discuss with Doctor McCoy. I’ll be back in a little bit,” Uhura said brightly.

Tatiana gave Uhura a horrified glare as she left the room. Tatiana cleared her throat and her heart flip flopped as she turned towards Kirk’s smiling face. His smile was so genuine-open, so James T. Kirk. “Hello Lieutenant.” Kirk said softly.

Tatiana stepped further into the room,”Hello, Captain…Jim” Tatiana clasped her hands behind her back to keep them from trembling. Kirk put the data log entry tablet down and motioned for her to come closer. As if in a trance, Tatiana walked slowly over and stood beside him. Kirk’s searching eyes looked up at her. Dark circles rimmed his eyes and untidy beard stubble covered his face. Slowly, as if in a trance himself, Kirk reached for her hand.

“Tatiana,” Kirk said softly rolling the syllables slowly over his tongue. I’m so glad you came, for there’s so much I want to say. I want to apologize for my behavior first of all, but then I guess Doctor McCoy already told you that I was under an alien influence. I guess you were too. Still there was no excuse for…” Kirk’s voice drifted away in a helpless silence. Tears poured down Tatiana’s face, as Kirk reached his hand up and brushed them away. “It’s alright, everything’s going to be alright,” Kirk soothed.