I frowned and chewed my lip. “Sounds intense.”

She barked a laugh and rubbed at her eyes. “You have no idea.”

I sensed her close up on the subject and thought of something else. “Why does Devlin want me to go with him? He seemed insistent that I go with him.”

“This is where it gets complicated. Has Breandan or Conall explained the limits of the Source yet?”

“I can get better at wielding magics with practice, but can never draw more than my limit.” I said, proud of myself for remembering.

“Clever girl, but for you and Breandan the rule no longer applies. You’re bonded.”

“Oh,” I said, neatly put in my place. “I see.”

Ana gazed above and her face was frightened. “There are three ancient items of magic in the form of golden amulets which pure fairies – Priestesses, whose purpose is to keep the balance of life – can wield to make themselves extremely powerful, and become more connected to the Source. For nearly two thousand years the balance was maintained. But then one Priestess forgot her purpose, and it got out of whack. The dark outweighed the light, and things that never should have been possible occurred.” Her face took on a sour look. “The Rupture was a side effect of her failure. If she had been doing her job and keeping the balance, it never would have happened. The vampires would have been stopped. But the result of that failure is clear to see, look at the world we live in.”

“You’re looking for these amulets,” I said, “to try and bring back the balance. But Devlin has other plans. It’s like a race.”

She nodded. “A bloody sprint to see who can amass the most power before inevitable war. The grimoire, a book of spells, has been in the Tribe’s possession since before anyone can remember. It would be horrific if a force of evil was able to open it.” She shuddered delicately in the grass. “The grimoire is locked, and the key is the three amulets combined, wielded by a pure fairy. In it is a spell Lochlann can use to remove Devlin’s claim on the fairy race. We have to get back. It rightfully belongs to the Priestess, and for the shift of power to be honoured by magic she must bestow her blessing.”

“Why are you guys so worried then? If you have to be pure to–”

“It doesn’t matter which type of pure you are. Pure evil can unlock the book just as pure good can.”

“Who is the dumb-ass that thought that gem up?”

“You did. Rather, one of your past reincarnations did.”

“Ah,” I said.

“Breandan lost an amulet piece this morning. It gives protection to the possessor.” She smiled at a spider scuttling across her leg. She picked it up and held it in her palm, moved her hand this way and that as the hairy brown arachnid searched for a place to get off. “Its guardian gave it to him for safekeeping as he felt he could no longer conceal it.”

The implications of what she was saying hit home. “So, the Tribe now has one amulet, and the rebels have–”

“Officially, none,” she said and grimaced. “Lochlann will not forgive Breandan easily for that screw up. He became its protector, and left it unprotected to run around after you because you got lost. Like I said before, I’ve seen that sticky spot you slid into with Maeve.”

I scowled darkly. Everyone sounded so ready to bend over and take it from this fairy Lochlann, but I didn’t see him risking his hide to guard the amulet piece. Where was he? He was needed here.

Ana set the spider on the grass, and waved goodbye as it scurried away into the undergrowth.

“Rae, the next time we hear strange noises in the forest, what do we do?