Prolog

Blood Academy

Summary:

Sylvia Hawthorne is elected as a scholar in the elite Blood Academy. Elegant on the outside but inside, it's not a pretty sight. Perfection is absolute. But with her condition, the scholarship seems like the only way out. After meeting a bewitching and mysterious man, she's confident that the school is hiding something dark, something monstrous. And she's one of the people who are going to be sacrificed for it. Will she make it out alive, victorious? Can she keep her heart safe? And above everything, can she stop it and not get sunk deep in darkness after knowing the truth?

Prolog

"Sylvia……"

That voice again. It had been haunting her for years, leaving her paranoid for her life and everyone precious to her. It was deep yet dangerous. She knew it all her life and she was repeating that same dream again, where she got lost inside the grand forest that was forbidden for anyone, including the king, to enter. The voice was definite and sure, rolling her name easily as if it was a chant.

"Will you promise me something?" The voice asked, its accent beautiful and thick. At that time, Sylvia was only a child back then, her eyes blinking at the figure above her. She threw the figure a bewildered look, but she nodded anyway. The figure smiled happily. He tilted her chin so their eyes met.

"Promise me…that when you turn thirteen…you will turn the wheel of fate…and throw them upside down…" The figure said, smiling as if he was the happiest man in the world, though his eyes held dominance and a little bit of insanity. "Promise me that you'll do that, little Rauvarmentc." Little Sylvia looked at the man in a daze. The word he used to call her was bewitching, and she felt that it belonged to her, like it was meant for her only. She was also awed by the beauty of the word, the figure said it easily and beautifully, until she wanted to cry. For what? She didn't know. But it was the most beautiful word she had ever known in her whole life.

"That's right… It is meant for you and you only…" The figure said, caressing her cheek as he did so. Little Sylvia stared at the man in wonder, questions flooding her mind as she looked inside the depth of his eyes. He then stood up rigidly, his eyes turned cold and cautious as he smile down at her, saying, "It is very unfortunate that our first meeting has to end like this, but I assure you… I will come back for you." With that, the wind picked up, the earth trembled, the water sprinkled, and the fire consumed him, then he was gone. Vanished right in front of her.

*******************

Sylvia Hawthorne opened her eyes in a single snap, her breathing labored as she gripped her blanket tightly. It wasn't creepy, the dream, but it was getting on her nerves to only remember that part and kept dreaming it over and over again. She never told anybody, since it was her problem, not theirs. But she was beginning to doubt that. Why on earth would that same dream kept haunting her like a broken cassette?

"Sylvia!" Laurent Hawthorne, her mother, called from the other side of the wooden door, her voice was frantic yet excited at the same time. This caused Sylvia to wonder why her mother would be so giddy, especially when they were in a tight situation. Sylvia frowned. Her instinct told her to run, but her rational part urged her to analyze the situation first. She was torn in between the two opposite decisions for a while then decided to prepare herself first.

“Coming, mother!” Sylvia shouted as she hurried to take a bath and make herself presentable. She looked to her reflection on the mirror as she took a deep breath. Her golden hair still had its silver glow to it and her eyes were still that same brilliant amethyst, with the ability to suck people in, as if hypnotized. She put on a smile on her face and walked out of her tidied bedroom, down to the kitchen where he mother and brother was expecting her. But soon, the thought of it was erased by the presence of the trained men on their door-step. Sylvia looked at her mother in shock and bewilderment.

“Sylvia,” her mother breathed. “These gentlemen are from the prestigious Blood Academy.” Sylvia was sure that her mother was refraining herself from saying bulk and non-gentlemen-like people.

“I see… But why are they here, mother?” Sylvia asked slowly, her tone low and demanding. Laurent looked at her daughter before sighing as she opened her mother to answer her, “Somehow… You got yourself a good scholarship at the elite Blood Academy. And they’re here to pick you up.” Sylvia stood on her place rigidly.

“How?” she asked, turning her gaze to the man who seemed likely to be the leader of the group. “How did I get myself a scholarship when I never even applied myself in the Blood Academy? Surely there’s a mistake.” The man she questioned raised an eyebrow at her, his green eyes challenging. Sylvia noticed that there’s something special about every single one of them. For example, the man she was asking had this undeniable charming aura.

“A mistake?” the man echoed. “My dear, the Blood Academy doesn’t do mistake for things like this.”

“If that is so, Sir…then why am I chosen to be a scholar in Blood Academy?” Sylvia asked back. “I clearly remembered that I don’t even associate myself with Blood Academy and its people. I find this situation is confusing.”

“Yes, of course. That matter is not important, and the thing that is important right now is that you pack your things and we’ll be leaving a half an hour,” said the man, smiling mysteriously.

“Isn’t this matter one-sided? I never agreed to come,” Sylvia stated.

“No, you didn’t. But your mother agreed,” answered the man. “She even signed the contract already.” Sylvia gasped in disbelieve. Her instinct was right, after all! Her mother’s act this morning also confirmed it. “I suggest you pack quickly, the rules and regulations will be explained on the ride to the academy. Take as you needed only.” Sylvia tightened her fists and turned to her mother who wouldn’t even look at her, guilt was consuming her.

“Why?” Sylvia asked. “Why didn’t you tell me about it?” She heard her mother sighed and Laurent looked at her.

“Because they can secure our condition,” Laurent replied. “Everyone associated with Blood Academy will get an honor and that honor can help us with our problem. And the rest, you can figure it out on the ride to the Academy.” Sylvia sighed, then shook her head in resignation, and proceeded to go back to her room and packed. After packing, she immediately went downstairs and nodded to the men from the academy that she’s ready.

“In, My Lady. Towards your new life,” said the man who she asked. And she did. Sylvia wasn’t going to back down either, she was going to fight back and make sure that victory was hers.

So how was it? A bit dull, I think. But I promise that the first chapter won't be as dull. So please

VOTE

COMMENT

FAV

RECOMMEND

I know that you all must be familiar with the phrase. I'll try to come up with something orignal, but has the same meaning as that one. So see you in the next chapter!