The Best Woman - Chapter One

Chapter One

Callie

I'd always known my relationship with Dayton wasn't quite the 'norm'. We were best friends and opposite sex. That in itself created problems that we wouldn't have had if I were a guy or he was a girl.

We were questioned on closing the bedroom door the second we turned thirteen. We suddenly couldn't be in a house alone together. We were told that we'd end up together because a girl and a guy absolutely could not have any kind of relationship that didn't end up with a bunch of feelings and a lot of sex.

But we fought through it all together, and people finally understood that there was nothing romantic in the way we saw each other. Well, most people. We still had yet to convince his fiancée's crazy friends and his brother's psycho girlfriend.

It's Dayton and Lucy's engagement party and everyone, but the evil bridesmaids are getting along. Whenever I'm around there's tension. They've made it no secret that they didn't think it's right that Dayton and I are close. Ironic because they're just as close with each other. Sure, me and Dayton have body parts that fit together, doesn't mean either one of us wants them to.

I lean against the bar with a content yet sad smile as my best friend dances with the love of his life. Things are going to change a lot.

Lucy is gorgeous and completely his type, with a sense of humour to match his own, long legs, and fierce red hair. She's sweet and kind and always thinking of others. Accepting our friendship couldn't have been easy, but as far as I know – and Dayton would've told me – she has never asked him to ditch me.

Over the years, our friendship had changed and developed and as he embarked on this next chapter. He's going to be sharing a home with Lucy; they will split things in half, spend most of their time together.

I see him about four or five times a week, and, no doubt, that will change. He's going to have a wife, so he shouldspend most of his time with her. I just hope we can find a way to work around the change. It would kill me if we lose a friendship we had to fight to protect for years.

He bends down – his blonde hair turning blue under the disco's lighting – and kisses her. They're an adorable couple and perfect match. Even though my atrocious luck with men will probably see me die alone surrounded by cats, I thrilled for them. I want nothing but happiness for my best friend.

I trace the rim of my wine glass with my finger and watch them with a smile. I want something like that one day. I want the same with a man I can a life and home with. But if my last two exes are anything to go by, all I have in store is heartbreak and spray-painting 'cheating scum'on the side of his car.

I need a new type.

"Sup," Bentley says, leaning heavily on the wooden bar.

Enter another Mr Wrong.

The one and only time I've considered Bentley as anything more than a friend was the night we kissed. He was looking about as sober as he was now, and I was no different. It would be messy and he's a total head-fuck. Trying a relationship with someone as complicated as him has disaster written all over it. Though I knew he wouldn't cheat.

Bentley is hammered – no surprise there – eyes are losing focus and his mouth is a lopsided smile.

"You okay?" I ask, grinning at the state of him.

Bentley is Dayton's older brother. He was a total wild child when he was younger, impossible to control or keep out of trouble through his teens and now... Well, now he just looks like he's in a constant battle with something or someone – himself probably.

Dayton and Bentley had the same upbringing, but I guess some people came equipped to handle things better than others. Bentley is intense and has short temper. His coping mechanism is to punch first and ask questions later.

He raises his blonde eyebrow, striking blue eyes sparkling between dark lashes. "Why wouldn't I be? Apparently, I fucked you in my car before coming over here."

My eyes widen. "What the hell? Who said that?"

"Sam," he replies.

We didn't even come here together.

Samantha is his girlfriend of four months and is convinced that if I'm not sleeping with the youngest Gellar, I', sleeping with the oldest.

Neither of us would go behind anyone's back.

"But I got here an hour before you showed up. Well done on being late to your brother's engagement party, by the way."

He snorts but otherwise ignores my dig. "Try telling her that."

I won't be doing that. I avoid that woman like the plague. It's much better to ignore her than to be sucked into her paranoia. She can think what she wants. The most I've done with Bentley is a drunken kiss on his birthday; a full two months before they even bloody met.

"How're you doing with him getting married?" Bentley asks, nodding to his brother who is currently swirling Lucy around the room.

"I'm fine."

"Honestly?"

"I'm happy for him; I really am, and I love Lucy. It's just going to be strange. I'm so used to doing practically everything with him. The holidays will stop, obviously. We had fun travelling together."

We did most of Europe the year before he met Lucy, staying in hostels so we could save money for excisions.

He shrugs. "I'll go with you. I'd show you a much better time than Mr Boring."

Well, if he says things like that in front of Samantha, no wonder she's paranoid. He wouldn't, though. Not even Bentley Carlton isthatstupid.

"He's not boring," I say, rushing to Dayton's defence.

"Sure he's not." He drags out the word 'sure' as if I'm slow on the uptake. "Anyway, are you getting drunk with me tonight?"

Why not? I'm a pathetic loser, doomed to fall in and out of crap relationships with me who live in their parents' basements and drink cheap beer. I may as well get drunk.

I grab two shots from the tray that keeps circulating, give one to Bentley and hold mine up.

"What're we drinking to? Dayton and Lucy?" I ask.

His face twists in disgust like I've suggested we get married. "No, of course not. We're drinking to my impending singlehood and the prospect of actually doing you in my car when I am."

My mouth drops open, making Bentley laugh.

"She just can't help herself," Debbie – one of the four evil bridesmaids – mutters as she walks past.

I roll my eyes. She's one of the worst and she has a fringe that's cut far too high up her forehead.

Planning this wedding is going to be hell. Working my way through a different relationship with Dayton is going to be hell. Trying to keep Samantha from killing me in cold blood is going to be hell. And trying to stay away from people – Bentley – that could turn my well-planned life upside down is going to be hell.

"She's a miserable fuck," Bentley mutters, "and it looks like she's out for your blood."

"Whatever."

She can get in line.

I take another shot.

To the wedding that's going to screw everything up.