Scream Me A Love Song {Prologue}

***************

new storyy! only the prologue is written like this, the rest is in 1st person

***************

“Why is your hair so frizzy? And it looks like mud.”

Liselle self consciously brought both hands to her head in attempt smooth her hair down. “I dunno..” She frowned at her poofy hair, which was fighting back quite aggressively.

“And why do you have so many freckles? Your glasses are big,” Damien giggled and leaned closer to examine her, “You’re like a chipmunk.”

“I’m not like a chipmunk,” The young girl protested. She didn’t even like chipmunks, there was no way she could look like one.

“You have fat cheeks like a chipmunk.”

“I know, Damien, you told me! I’m gonna tell my mom if you don’t stop--”

“Is Tubby gonna cry? Are you gonna cry?” He tugged on a strand of her hair and her eyes began to water, “Frizzyhead. I can call you that, if you want.”

“No.”

“Or Freckleface. But I like Tubby. Why are you crying, Tubby?” He was aware of upsetting her, but that didn’t stop him from taunting her further. “You know what I heard?”

Liselle pulled her overly curly lock of ‘mud’ brown hair from his slack grasp. “What’d you hear?” She asked curiously.

“You like me.”

“Oh,” She looked around in confusion, wondering who had told him? All her friends had pinky promised not to tell. “Do you like me?” She asked hopefully. Her mom always said when boys were mean to her it meant they liked her.

“No,” Damien grinned cheekily, “I don’t. Your glasses are too big, and so are you.”

Her eyes began to water again and she looked in the direction of her house, which was directly across the street. “I’m getting my mom.” She declared. She got up with every intention of doing so, but Damien called her back.

“Don’t be a tattletale, Tubby. You know what happened last time.” He reminded her.

“Your mom took your playstation and told you to be nice,” She answered. “I remember. Why?”

Damien sighed heavily and leaned against the large tree in his backyard. “That’s why I don’t like you. You get me in trouble.”

“I know you don’t like me, like me. But you can still regular like me.”

“No, Frizzy, I don’t like you at all. Can I call you that? Frizzy Lizzy,” He laughed as her face scrunched up in immense, if only temporary, dislike. “I’m never gonna like you because you’re a tattle tale and you’re ugly.”

“I’m not ugly,” She said quietly.

“I’d never like a chubby girl with glasses,” He continued.

“Why are you so mean to me?” She asked through forming tears, “I’m never mean to you.”

“Liselle,” Her mother’s voice came from nearby, “Are you ready to go? Why are you crying, baby?” Caitlin kneeled down as best she could and took her daughter’s cheeks in her hands, “Are you still upset about moving?”

“You guys are moving?” Damien asked.

“Lizzy didn’t tell you?” Caitlin straightened up and gently pulled Liselle to her side, rubbing one hand along her daughter’s back in a soothing manner while the other rested atop her own newly pregnant belly. “We came over to say bye. We’re leaving to Oregon.”

“Why didn’t you tell me, Frizzy?” Damien demanded.

“What?”

“Lizzy,” He quickly corrected, shooting Liselle’s mom a panicked look at having slipped up and used the cruel name around her, “She didn’t tell me.”

“You didn’t tell him, sweetheart?” Caitlin asked. Liselle shook her head. “She’s just upset. She doesn’t wanna leave her friends. Is that why you’re crying?” She looked down at her daughter, who once again shook her head.

“We can go. I’m done saying bye,” Liselle finally said.

“So you’re really leaving?” Damien repeated. “When are you coming back?”

“We might come visit sometimes,” Caitlin said, though she wasn’t sure how possible it would be.

“Bye, Damien.” Liselle left her mother’s side to attempt giving Damien a hug, but he shied away from her. 

“C’mon Lis, it’s okay. Let’s go say bye to his parents,” Her mom suggested. Liselle nodded and they walked away. “Your dad should be out there somewhere, I think Connie and Michael are helping him load the truck. And Pia’s waiting for you, she wants to say bye, too.”

Liselle followed her mom until they reached the patio door. Her mom continued inside, but she paused and turned for one last look at her neighbor’s backyard. And right in the middle of it was Damien, who was looking after her in confusion. She smiled and held up a hand for a small wave. He raised a hand and blinked. Why had no one told him she was leaving?

“Lizzy!”

“Coming, Mommy.” She waved bigger before turning and running through the door.

************

let me know what you think yeah? :)