the black cauldron script

[Prologue:]

          Legend has it, in the mystic land of Prydain. There was once a king so cruel, and so evil, that even the gods feared him. Since no prison could hold him, he was thrown alive into a crucible of molting iron.  There his demonic spirit was captured, in the form of a great black cauldron. For uncounted centuries The Black Cauldron lay hidden, while evil men searched for it. Knowing whoever possessed it, would have the power to resurrect an army of deathless warriors. And with them, rule the world.

[At Caer Dallben.......]

Dallben:  There's something wrong! I can feel it in my bones. Hmm, the Fair Folk know it too.
          You don't see any of them around! The Horned King! That black hearted devil! What's he waiting for?
(the tomcat jumps in front of him and meows)
          YES, yes, Cat, I KNOW you want your breakfast! But just now THINKING is more important! Oh,Taran! The pot is boiling over, Taran!
(he sees Taran staring out the window in a daydream.)

Taran:  Oh, Dallben, I was just thinking. What if the war's over, and I never had a chance to fight!

Dallben:  (who is now looking at old maps) 
          Hmm, and a good thing too. War isn't a game, people get hurt!

Taran:  But I'm not afraid!....Ouch! 
(Taran reached his hand out in protest, only to touch the boiling pot, burning his finger.)

Dallben:  Ah, ha! There you are!  If the Horned King ever returned you'll have a great deal more to worry about than a burned finger.
(Taran scooped out a spoonful of whatever Dallben was cooking, smelled it, and quickly turned his face away in disgust.  He sets it in a small bowl.  The cat, hoping it was for him, attempts to eat it and turns away in disgust, too.)  
          No, no, no, no.  Cat that is not for you it's for Hen Wen.

Taran:  Hen Wen, Hen Wen, it's ALWAYS Hen Wen!

Dallben:  And one day, my boy, you may learn why.  Now, no more dreaming, you have chores to do.

Taran:  Yes, sir. 
(and he sets off to feed Hen Wen.)

Dallben:  He's so anxious, and so blind to the dangers ahead.  
(he opens the pot) 
          Look, look Cat you're in luck!  Just enough left for you!  
( the cat backs away)  
          Hmmm?

[Outside.....]

Taran:  Dallben wouldn't understand.  I'm not a little boy anymore. 
(he kicks a stick, and walks over to the flock of geese and tramples across the bridge.  He kicks open the gate to Hen Wen's pen) 
          I should be doing heroic deeds for Prydain! Not waiting hand and foot on a spoiled....Hey! 
(Taran had set down the bowl and shoved it in the barrel only for it to come back at him.) 
(Taran laughing) 
          Oh, alright Hen, I didn't mean it. 
(a small cute pig comes out of the barrel and looks at the food.) 
          You'd better eat it Dallben made it especially for you. 
(Hen takes a bite, and swallows hard, and backs away from the food.) 
          Is this to be my life? Pampering a pig! I'm a warrior, not an Pig-Keeper.  Dallben thinks I'd be afraid, but I wouldn't. All I need is, is, is a chance! And I could be a famous warrior! 
(By now Taran has walked out of the pen, with Hen Wen following. Taran sees a stick and picks it up, pretending it's a sword.) 
          Look at me Hen! I can do it! Ha!
( Taran points the 'sword' at Hen and she squeals, runs and hides.) 
          Ha, ha, ha, ha. Even you're afraid! 
( Taran turns to the geese.) 
          You challenge me? Run you cowards! See Hen?
( Dallben's goat comes out and looks at Taran.) 
          There you are! His majesty the Horned King! So, we meet at last! Ha!
( Taran takes the stick and rattles it between the goat's horns.)
          Even the Horned King shakes with fear! See Hen? EVERYBODY runs from the famous Taran of Caer Dallben! 
( Hen Wen squeals when she sees the goat ready to butt Taran.  The goat succeeds in doing so and sends Taran and Hen Wen flying through the mud, while the geese 'laugh' at them. Taran begins to cough.) 
          Prydain's finest warrior, draws his last (gasp) breath! 
( Taran collapses on the ground, Hen thinking he's not faking, scurries over to him and nudges his cheek, Taran looks at her and finally notices Dallben's shadow.) 
          Dallben!!!!!!!