Love and Affection

“Nellie,” A voice whispered softly, trying to pull me out of my sleep.

                I turned away from the source of the noise, pulling the warm covers up over my head. I should have known that it wouldn’t help the situation, but I didn’t care at this point. I just wanted more sleep.

                “Five minutes…” I mumbled, and began drifting off once again. Of course, not two seconds after I fell back asleep, the damn person had to come and wake me back up.

                “NELLIE!” They screamed at loudly into my ear. Okay! That was enough! I shrieked out with my anger and shot out of bed, tackling the person to the ground.

                “Oof!”

                I looked down to see my sister Elena underneath me, who now had an angry glare when she gazed up at me with those stupid brown eyes. I just stuck my tongue out at her, before rolling off and lying down on the ground beside her. Elena shook her head at me and stood, offering a hand that I reluctantly took. I grunted as I stood upright, my head spinning slightly . I looked over at Elena (who still had that disapproving frown on), and smacked the back of her head.

                “What was that for?” She grimaced, and rubbed at the sore spot. I shot her a look that told her exactly what she did, and shook my head in disdain.

                I walked over to the door to the bathroom that Elena and I shared with Jeremy. Yes, we had to share a bathroom, and yes, I had to share a room with my sister. There weren’t enough rooms in the house for each of us to have our own, and since Elena and I were twins, it made the choice easy.

                Elena and I didn't have the stereotypical twin relationship.  It's not that we didn't get along, because we did, it’s just that we just... didn’t see eye to eye on a lot of things. She was just too girly, maybe? I don’t know. She was just too different from me, I suppose.

                Even if she was my identical twin.

                Yeah, yeah. The great and mighty Elena Gilbert was my twin. And it kind of sucked. Just a little… maybe a lot. I don't know.

                Jeremy was a lot easier to relate to, even if he was one of the biggest pill poppers I knew. Yes, I knew that my brother dealt out prescription drugs, and no, I don’t like it, but what could I do? I mean, Elena and I have tried to get him to stop for ages now, but it did no good.

                I shook my head, and knocked on the door to Jer's room, and when I got no answer I barged right in. I was going to bug him, but at the sight of him sleeping so peacefully, I left and went back to my room. Elena was writing in her journal when I walked back in, scribbling whatever feelings were inside her head at the time. I didn't understand her.

                Elena and I may look the same, but we were completely the opposite when it comes to our personality and style. I was the brash one, doing all the stupid things that she had to come and save me from, while she was the sweet, popular, cheerleading type, which I didn't quite get. Most people could tell us apart by what we said, but just to make sure, I always curled my hair and Elena always straightened hers. We had decided to do that a long time ago in order for our friends to tell us apart.

                Since it seemed that there was no way I would be able to go back to sleep, I started to get ready for the first day of school.