Prologue

The name's Corrie Fisher.  I am not your ordinary girl.

When I was younger, I would get teased because of one simple thing: I wanted to marry my brother.

Before you go on a tantrum about how incest that is let me clear my name. My mom had died when I was four, and my dad never was cut out for most domestic responsibilities. So what was my dad's solution to this? He went and got married to another woman. 

Now, I already can feel the doubt and accusations.

 I'm not complaining about her and saying that she's an evil stepmother, because Sarah really is a super cool mom. But not only did I get her added into my family, I had my older sister, Maggie Wright, and my few months' older brother, Lance Wright.

Me and Lance were like two peas in a pod. We did absolutely everything together! We made mudpies, took baths, got in trouble together, and played with G.I. Joe figurines together- just to emphasize how much of a tomboy I was when I was a kid. I really loved him and he loved me, too. So one day, while we were playing, Maggie came in and told us that if we truly loved each other, we should get 'married'.

Now, think about it. We were only 6 years old then, just starting in kindergarten. There was NO way we would have known what the true meaning of marriage was and everything that it would entail.  We had both thought it was a great idea, and had promised each other, with the Maggie making a contract, that we would marry each other once we were 'big kids'.

Not too shortly after this incident, it was 'What Do you Wanna Be When You Grew Up' Day for my class- Lance, unfortunately wasn't in the same class as me. Everyone else said they wanted to be doctors, cooks, librarians, firefighters, and other cool and normal childish-dream jobs. Excited to share what I wanted to be, I basically ran up to the front of the room, my face almost covered with my smile.

"When I grow up, I wanna marry my  big brother, Lance!" I exclaimed, smiling. But the thing was...

 Everyone was very quiet after my bold statement. All except for Stupid Gregory. He laughed at what I said, and pointed his finger at me! "Eww! Gross! You can't marry your brother!"

"Yes I can!" I replied angrily, whileeveryone else joined in with his laughter. I felt the tears prick my eyes. But what he said next just did it.

"Face it. You're a freak! Wanting to marry someone as weird as- Oofph!" He said, as I punched him as hard as I could in the gut. The teacher who was telling to students to apologize to me, immediately turned on me, with slight disappointment on her face. "Coraline! Go to the hall now!"

That was the day I became known as the bad girl, the freak, the incest participator, and any other insensitive names and taunts children could think of.

After a year, everyone slowly stopped with the name-calling as the were distracted to other more interesting topics and all eventually it stopped completely. Years passed and I started to change my tastes for the good. When I got into junior high, I realized my love of Goth fashion, and got the stereotypical label" the Goth", dressing up in pretty black lace skirts, wearing my black combat boots and my 'Bite Me' Tee. Me and my brother were still cool friends, and even had some of the same friends, but he was the guy who got all the cute girls, while I hadn't even been kissed once. Maggie had graduated way before we hit high school, leaving us and our parents at the cul de sac. The older we got, the more we grew into our features: my brother getting to be the guy that could get any girl, and me, the mysterious, normal Gothic girl that would hit you if you looked at her wrong, cause I didn't give two shits.

Even though we were almost inseparable and I considered him my best friend, the secret remained: I still was in love with my brother.