Chapter 1

I was so high up, my feet dangled in midair, the cold breeze made my teeth chatter, and I was bargaining my life, taunting death as though he were a puppy. But I knew a blackmail like this would give me a ticket back to America, back to where I still have some unfinished business to attend to. And so I sat and looked down at the forming crowd who were all either concerned or excited to see me fall to my death.

The head mistress, Ms. Crawford was fuming. Her face changing in color like it can't make up its mind. It was so weird, I can't help but smile like Cheshire the cat. Her face was pale of fear, but then turned scarlet as she started barking off orders to students and staffs. Strands of her hair fell off from her 'perfect' bun hairdo, ruining her perfect façade.

"MS. HENDRICKS, GET DOWN FROM THERE IMMEDIATELY!" She bellowed through the megaphone. Glaring like that of a snake she was, while pointing a 'perfectly' manicured nail at me. But then it got better when a vein popped out of her head.

"Never! Unless you expel me and send me back to America, I guess we can make a deal!" I shouted back, loving the fact that I had already caused chaos in such a short time. But I guess, this place needed some bending of the rules from time to time. And I'm the center of it all, with me in the picture, this academy's reputation would go down the drain.

Pale skin, short jet black hair with these grayish blue eyes that were enhanced by thick eyeliner was exactly the appearance to give them the message that I was no goody two-shoes Snow White. I'm more like the bad ass Thalia Grace, the daughter of Zeus whose already enjoying the taste of the wind in her mouth. Mind you, it tasted like freedom. Pity, I'm not one of those demigods who're out there being all heroic. Slaying monsters and stuff-I would rather be one of them, a Hermes kid to be in fact. Course, this was the real world; can't have flying shoes to save me today.

"Ms Hendricks, if you do not open this door this instant, I swear you will suffer a severe punishment!" Ms. Crawford's voice boomed from behind, giving me a jolt which could had caused my life. That was fast. She kept banging the door along with two pairs of hands, while trying to somehow pick the lock. I bet that was the freckled dude I met in the hallway yesterday with weird round glasses that resembled Harry Potter's. The door was locked from the inside and the classroom was empty except for the rows of tables and chairs that were witnessing this.

I was outside if you have not noticed yet, sitting on the ledge while my back rested on the cold bricked wall, where an opened window was located inches to my right. Sighing loudly, "I should have placed a chair there," I muttered. Moving on, at this very moment, two options were all I have. And it was either to open the door and accept that 'severe punishment' she has already installed for me or perhaps jump and have a concussion-if I'm lucky enough to only gain that.

"Drew Asthore Hendricks, this is the last straw!"

Now she was stating my whole name, she must be really pissed off not to send me back to America herself.

"Then expel me! Send me to jail for heaven's sake!" I shouted. "Gees woman, it's not that hard to get rid of the bug."

"You despicable child, mind your manners! Your father won't be at all pleased by this shenanigan you have caused!" She banged again, in a much ladylike way.

Oh dear me, what have I done? Tut, trust me, he was already used to it. Trouble was the reason that brought me here to this horrid place anyway. It happened when the night was quiet and the stars were hidden from the stormy clouds, where a window creaked open in my darkened room. Temptation got the better of me and I sneaked out without giving a second glance to my so called home, which hasn't been like that ever since my family fell apart.

But none of that would never had happen if Andrew didn't even dare bother to lecture me on my flunking grades. Oh, Andrew was the one I call father by the way, the one whom my mother left because of his habits and also because of that witch and her little apprentice in training, whose cat, Kat (goodness, this was better than the last one) was puking hair balls all over the place. Making my allergies go crazy, but of course, they would always find a way that would make them keep that thing in the house. Although I'd rather (would love to) call her in another word that rhymed with the title I described her to be.

It was a bit of a headache recalling it now, the reason why I got here. A steamy argument between Andrew and I, included words, slurring out of his mouth with my test results in his hand and a small bottle of whisky in the other. I sat down on the sofa with my arms and legs crossed and my headphones blasting music in my ears. As he kept on pacing, he coughed and took a peak at my results again, his face crunching in disgust. The night didn't end with an argument and some grounding though, but I don't want to remember the horrors I have caused anymore. The thing that I did next wasn't bending the rules anymore...I broke the law when I left that house. As that window creaked open, I knew it was time to go, but I couldn't escape what was already meant to happen to me, because karma somehow found me the moment I walked in that building.

Not a moment later, I heard the door banged open. And that was so stupid of me for letting my guard down.

"Go! Hasten your pace and get her off there quickly!" I didn't notice the hands of my wrist watch already had flew its way up to another minute, another hour. Neither did I noticed that the door was already wide open with freckled dude and another guy making their way towards me. I peered down again, and that was when I finally realized that I felt fear, down below the whole school were watching. My heart beat was rising, my pulse quickened, and as I felt adrenaline coursing through my veins-I felt that thrill.

As I glanced back, I didn't have time to make my escape through the hidden door I managed to discover, but in a split decision, I made up my mind, "Bury me in America!" And then I took off. Like a wingless creature I am, I didn't knew what I was doing nor was the fact where I was going after this; all I knew was that gravity was doing its job. It was better to end the suffering when you knew nothing of what's actually the point in living. But it's like death was too busy to let me die today.

"Caught ya!"

Hearing sighs of relief from below, I was slowly pulled up by the wrist-and I tell you, it was like my arm was going to detach itself from me. "Naughty little squirt, aren't you?" My eyes were already closed, ready for the impact that didn't come, but as I opened them, I saw alluring chestnut brown eyes that I suddenly learned to hate at first sight.

"Let go of me you English, I am not living another day in this academy!" I shouted, still suspended in the air, his grip tightened. My feet then made contact with the bricked wall as I tried to loosen his hold on me. "I said let go!"

"Have it your way," and so he lets go.

"MR. THOMPSON!" shouted Ms. Crawford and as her head appeared from the ledge, I smiled.

AN: Vote, support, enjoy, and read!